phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Marvel saw maintenance

#260103 by WillieOsgood » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:29 am

Marvel series 8 Mark 1 vertical [url=band saw[/url]. Next to the hand wheel is the carriage feed worm gear. The operating manual says to check and fill the reservoir annually. It doesn't really give a good description of the desired oil level. Filling it completely as insinuated causes oil to run out around the shaft. Does anyone know how much oil they want? Since the worm is on top only the gear is in the bath unless the reservoir is actually "full". The exploded parts view shows no seal around the shaft.

Thanks,

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: RE: Marvel saw maintenance

#260104 by Skizzity » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:58 am

WillieOsgood wrote:Marvel series 8 Mark 1 vertical [url=band saw[/url]. Next to the hand wheel is the carriage feed worm gear. The operating manual says to check and fill the reservoir annually. It doesn't really give a good description of the desired oil level. Filling it completely as insinuated causes oil to run out around the shaft. Does anyone know how much oil they want? Since the worm is on top only the gear is in the bath unless the reservoir is actually "full". The exploded parts view shows no seal around the shaft.

Thanks,
Wrong forum?!?

---

PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill

Re: Marvel saw maintenance

#260106 by wa2crk » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:25 am

As long as the gear is in the oil the gear should pick up enough oil to lubricate the worm. I don't think the shaft should leak very much at that point.
Bill V

#260108 by Hobbyman2 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:10 am

AMADA MARVEL, INC.
3501 MARVEL DRIVE
OSHKOSH, WI 54902 – USA
PHONE – 1.800.4.SAWING (1-800-472-9464)
FAX – 1.920.236.7209

==============

Contact information
You heard this on a Shopsmith website , try theirs ?

---

Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

#260116 by rpd » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:01 pm

WillieOsgood wrote:Marvel series 8 Mark 1 vertical [url=band saw[/url]. Next to the hand wheel is the carriage feed worm gear. The operating manual says to check and fill the reservoir annually. It doesn't really give a good description of the desired oil level. Filling it completely as insinuated causes oil to run out around the shaft. Does anyone know how much oil they want? Since the worm is on top only the gear is in the bath unless the reservoir is actually "full". The exploded parts view shows no seal around the shaft.

Thanks,

My first impression was that this is spam, albeit incompetent spam (he/she/it screwed up the url)

A quick Google search on the original post shows that it is directly cut and pasted from this 2010 post on the Practical Machinist forum.
[url]https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/marvel-saw-maintenance-216716/[/url]

So, yes it is spam.

---

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,

#260119 by BuckeyeDennis » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:34 pm

rpd wrote:

Thanks,

My first impression was that this is spam, albeit incompetent spam (he/she/it screwed up the url)

A quick Google search on the original post shows that it is directly cut and pasted from this 2010 post on the Practical Machinist forum.
[url]https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/marvel-saw-maintenance-216716/[/url]

So, yes it is spam.

That was a functioning link when I saw it early this morning. Being on my iPad, I couldn't see what it linked to, so I didn't report it. But Admin had apparently deleted the target by the time I was on a PC.