phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

13 posts 1 2

Tissue box

#249579 by nuhobby » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:38 am

Just a very quick rabbeted-corner box; hackberry on the sides, and red oak on the top. For those occasional gift needs :)

Chris

Hack_Box.jpg
Hack_Box.jpg (133.82 KiB) Viewed 1735 times

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Tissue box

#249580 by Gene Howe » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:20 am

That's really nice, Chris. Love that hackberry.

#249587 by Hobbyman2 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:02 pm

very creative , looks good .

---

Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

#249597 by moggymatt » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Very nice

---

Paul B

#249599 by robinson46176 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:47 pm

It all has a well matched look. A lot of nice grain in that Hack-berry.

---

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill

#249632 by john » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Nice Box!

Never heard of Hackberry but sure like the look.

John

#249654 by reible » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:53 pm

I've not worked with hackberry and in fact I had just heard about it recently in one of the wood mags I get. Maybe WOOD? I'll see if I can locate it as it was an interesting read. Before I get into trying to remember too much I'll want to read it again.

I do like the look, and if time permits and I am able to find some I'd like to try a turning like a bowl or other hollowed item. I've never seen it local so I may have to mail order it.

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]

#249660 by nuhobby » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks!

Yes, I think I read about hackberry in a recent (or back-issue) magazine. Ended up using some Paypal bux to get a few planks from eBay. It's a distinctive looking wood. The grain is a bit open for extra-fine work, but just fine otherwise.

Chris

#249778 by moggymatt » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:34 am

Looking good. :)

---

Paul B

#249781 by GoNavy » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:41 am

Looks very nice, like to make one, but how do you cut those ovals so nicely. Mine always end up looking a little jagged they don't look smooth or professional looking like they were stamped out, if you know what I mean. I can lay them out ok, just never able to cut them and look clean, and can I assume there is no bottom and this just slips over the box of tissue.

Love idea because I use allot of tissue (have copd always coughing something up) and I use the little square boxes of tissue, usually have to use two hands to get a tissue about half way through the box because it becomes to lite to just grab a tissue with out the whole box becoming airborne...lol...using a wood box I would think solves the weight problem...lol..