I get these calls all the time. I do my part to save you all from getting called. Whenever I can, a few times a week, I pick up the call and talk with these clowns as they are all scams that I've researched and am well aware of. I engage them as if I'm really believing their story. It's a game to me. I try to see how long I can remain believable without giving them ANY useful information. I get them to invest time and, like car salesmen, they start to get desperate so they hang on longer. When they finally realize that they're never going to get anywhere with me they get really upset that they spent so much time in vain and get REALLY mad. They accuse ME of wasting their time! This is really delicious. I then tell them that I kept them from scamming some defenseless person. They usually are furious at this point, cuss me out and then hang up. This usually takes anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes. I know its only a small dent in their millions of calls they attempt every day but I have satisfaction that I helped someone else not get called and maybe scammed.
A few things to know:
1) They have algorithms that they use to increase the chance that they'll increase their 'earnings'. The following increase the likelihood you'll be called: 1) If you answer the call. 2) How much time you actually spend on the call. I do both so get called very often. If you don't want to get called more, just let the call go. Don't pick up.
2) The phone numbers they use aren't real. They make it look like they're calling from a phone in your area. This is called 'spoofing'. They randomly spoof numbers that look to be from your area hoping that will increase the likelihood you'll pick up.
3) Blocking the numbers is useless as they randomly spoof numbers every time they call.
4) Calling back and hollering at someone will just get you calling a random neighbor and hollering at them. Since they didn't really make the call they'll be really confused and likely mad at you. AND now that neighbor you just cussed out knows your number!
5) There are great free call blocker apps. The best I've found for iOS is "Hiya". It has the option to block 'neighbor calls'. This will block calls that are not in your contact list from any area code and 3 number prefix you select. This goes a REAL long way to cutting down on the spoofed calls.
6) If you want to understand more about how / why these people do this, listen to the following 2 part 'Reply All' podcasts (link below). They go all the way to India to confront scammers. What they learn along the way explains the 'business' of these robots-scams. https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all ... mletPlayerhttps://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all ... mletPlayer
I hope this helps you / someone you care about.