phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

80 posts • Jump to page: 1 2 3 4 5 8

Just pure curiosity here, so I wanted to take an informal poll. Using the ranges below, what size shop do you have for your woodworking? Also how many Shopsmiths (any version/vintage) do you have in your shop?

Small Shop = less than 250 sq ft

Medium Shop = 250 to 600 sq ft

Large Shop = greater than 600 sq ft

Feel free to add any other details, e.g. other woodworking machines you have in your shop, actual square footage, etc. I know I have a small shop at 210 sq ft, so I was just wondering what the distribution would be for Shopsmith owners. If I could fit more than one Shopsmith in my shop, I totally get how a Shorty or 2nd full size Shopsmith makes sense and how much more useful it becomes. Unfortunately, I don't have more space at present.
Last edited by RFGuy on Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

---

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Informal Poll - Size of your Shop and how many Shopsmiths?

#257350 by mountainbreeze » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:03 am

Small - one

256 sq. ft. so small medium mark V upgraded to power pro with 510 table and double tilt.

< 200 ft² three(working/assembled) three in process of being restored.

Working: Goldie, mini, M2 incomplete but functional used as a portable, Power station(2), DC3300

In restoration MVII 95% complete, 510 75% complete, 10E 60% complete.

SPT bandsaw(2F) belt sander(1F1W) strip sander(2F) Jig saw(1R1F) Planer(1F*) scroll saw ss mount(1R)

F = Functional
R = Restored(and functional)
W = Waiting to be restored
* = SS mount with additional CI table and power feed and 1.75 HP motor waiting to all come together.

Ain't tidy fer sure. A lot of 'parts' in a different 'room'.

'Extra' parts all over the place.

Yes I do occasionally make saw dust. :D (Very carefully)

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

JPG wrote:< 200 ft² three(working/assembled) three in process of being restored.

JPG, I feel for you. Your shop is smaller than mine and you have three Shopsmith's being worked on in there. My hat is off to you! I hope you are able to utilize the walls, etc. in your shop to help with storage, etc. A lot of what makes a room "useable" is the layout of it. Doors, windows, or other openings can really cut into the usability of a space. I know for my shop I have both a garage door and a utility door to contend with. They are handy, but at times, I wish I had a solid wall to better utilize my space. Let us know if you have any tips for laying out your small shop. Much appreciated.

---

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor

I have about 300 sq ft and one Shopsmith.

RFGUY:

I did not mention the non- SS stuff(craftsman RAS, antique bench grinder, craftsman thickness planer, Dayton table saw) One window, one exterior door one interior opening, furnace and a 5' work bench.

A LOT of moving stuff around to get stuff done.(Thank ancient genius for the wheel)

OH I just remembered, I left off the scroll saw above - gonna fix THAT!!!

9' ceiling peg board walls tall steel storage cabinet and 2'deep x 8' stogage shelves. A cubby over an adjacent 7' room for lumber etc..

Unfortunately there is a bunch of 'OTHER" stuff in there as well.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

#257358 by WileyCoyote » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 am

I have a 2 1/2 car garage, 528 SF, with two Shopsmiths, a Greenie and a 510. My wife hasn't used the garage for her car in over 20 years. She's the best.

I had my garage made bigger when we ordered the house. So, the golf cart garage became the shop. 12 X 25 feet which means 300 Sq Ft. I Can move the cars outside and I have a lot more room. Total garage sq footage is about 900. Equipment includes a Shopsmith upgraded to 520 table and Power Pro headstock, bandsaw on a power stand, 6X48 SS belt sander, 2 SS strip sanders, SS jointer, SS power Station, DC3300 dust collector, Delta 46-460 midi lathe, and an oldie but goodie Craftsman all cast iron drill press from the fifties. It weighs 150 lbs and is a bench mount. The dust collector is positioned so it can reach all points of the garage without being moved and I turn it on and off using a Penn State Long Ranger remote system. Also a Jet 16-32 drum sander on a roll around stand.

#257366 by chapmanruss » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:38 pm

I currently use part of my garage which is 30 X 36 foot (1080 sq. ft.) I have a 12 X 16 foot building that will become my shop if I can ever get my daughter and family to move out and get their stuff out of it.

I have a long list of Shopsmith tools which includes:

A Mark V 520 upgraded to a Mark 7 with an extra set of floating & extension tables, Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Jointer, Pro-Planer, Scroll Saw, Strip Sander, 2 Power Stations plus many other accessories.

A Model 10ER (S/N R64000) which is the first one I restored with all accessories except the Lower Belt Guard (John got that). I am keeping this one. A Model 10E (S/N 1077) which I recently restored and am keeping.

I currently have 4 Model 10's to restore and a Mark 2 plus a Model 10E (S/N 4708) already restored. These I plan on selling but may keep the Mark 2.

I have many extra parts and accessories for the Shopsmith tools. This includes at least one of each of the known arbors, spindles and chucks (except one 1/2" router chuck) made since the beginning in 1947.

My non-Shopsmith power tools include a Craftsmen Table saw, RAS and Miter Saw. Lots of hand power tools including over a half dozen electric drills. Can never have too many drills.

---

Russ

Mark V 520 S/N 09-11-01 completely upgraded to Mark 7, with all SPT's & more.
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ Shopsmith metal ends & retractable casters. Has Speed Changer, Model 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E S/N 1077 oldest one I have restored. On bench w/ Shopsmith metal ends & retractable casters.