It's to the point that the front-panel has to be rebuilt before I can put any more pieces back together. While this is a quality box, I didn't like the look or feel of the plywood center-panel.
I've chosen, resawn, glued, and dressed a piece of Kentucky CoffeeTree wood for the center panel. After bandsawing to rough size, I'm tuning in the dimensions and squared edges with a shooting-plane gadget I made one day last year:
Now it's over to the OverArm Router station to do some rabbeting on the back face, and coving the edges on the front face of the panel:
As it happened, I messed up one edge a little bit. I was able to obscure the fault with a chisel, and also choose an orientation which will hide the fault in a natural "shadow" area of the assembly. Finally I've trimmed the last edge to allow just a big more room for cross-grain expansion/contraction inside the frame:
Now the glue-up is clamped for the frame, the front-panel of the machinist chest. Once this is done, I can slowly start many other pieces of re-assembly. On this chest, the front-panel will have pivot-pins that keep it trapped in grooves in the main carcass:
On to another overdue job; I needed a little wood wheel. I've had a fly-cutting hole "drill" for years, but in the 700rpm days it was kind of scary. Now the PowerPro lets me do 250rpm, which was a nicely controlled operation:
Sure felt good to have my hands busy again!
- Squaring Panel.jpg (113.57 KiB) Viewed 13869 times
- Rabbeting Panel.jpg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 13877 times
- Tweaking Edges.jpg (113.89 KiB) Viewed 13886 times
- Frame Glue_Up.jpg (111.44 KiB) Viewed 13878 times
- Slow Hole Drilling.jpg (104.58 KiB) Viewed 13873 times