phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

15 posts 1 2

Re: Dealing with Twist

#260000 by Hobbyman2 » Mon May 27, 2019 3:50 pm

jointer ?or use a hand or electric hand plane ? reference line on each side using a straight edge and square , ya probably don't need to take off that much ? then use the planer ? just a thought

---

Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

#260003 by jsburger » Mon May 27, 2019 6:47 pm

garys wrote:If you have enough thickness of wood to plane them until they are perfectly straight, my only other option seems to be to use them as firewood.

A planer will not straighten a twisted piece of stock. That is unless you mean a hand plane. The proper power tool to flatten a board is a jointer. Then run it through a planer to get two parallel faces of the proper thickness.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

#260010 by Hobbyman2 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:13 pm

jsburger wrote:
garys wrote:If you have enough thickness of wood to plane them until they are perfectly straight, my only other option seems to be to use them as firewood.

A planer will not straighten a twisted piece of stock. That is unless you mean a hand plane. The proper power tool to flatten a board is a jointer. Then run it through a planer to get two parallel faces of the proper thickness.

==========

+1

only question I may have is,,, what provisions can you make to stop it from reoccurring over time ?

---

#260014 by jsburger » Mon May 27, 2019 8:24 pm

Hobbyman2 wrote:
jsburger wrote:

==========

+1

only question I may have is,,, what provisions can you make to stop it from reoccurring over time ?

Probably nothing. Quarter sawn is the best answer and works very well. It was made by God and mother nature does what she wants. Man continues to challenge mother nature and eventually always looses.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

#260020 by Hobbyman2 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:14 pm

LOL true ,, but sometimes,,,, losing isn't all ways a bad thing , it comes with a learning curve ?

---