One more quick comment. Cutting rockers provides two more challenges: making them strong and not wasting stock.
I made a couple of rocking horses from plans out of an old Wood magazine (Nov 1995, plans available http://woodstore.net/playpalrocho.html
). To provide strength, the rocker blanks were glued up in an interesting way. Each blank consisted of two thicknesses of stock. The inside stock was two pieces with a mitered joint at the correct angle to allow the curves to be cut. The outside stock was three pieces: one long one for the bottom and two sections glued on the ends so the curve rocker could be cut from the assembly. These two were then glued together providing no common joints and an varied grain orientation in each blank.
I tried to upload a picture (in a word doc), but the forum seems to be having "issues" right now. I'll try again later.