phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

96 posts • Jump to page: 1 4 5 6 7 8 10

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:

Everett, are not the brush/spring and the screw in cap industry standard? I would think, with a little searching, suitable replacements could be found.


Not knowing the manufacturer is a hindrance.


Yes, but, brushes are brushes. All one needs is the dimensions. Same with the cap, diameter and threads.

I seriously those are proprietary/unique to the SS motor.


So measure yours and share that info with us. :cool:

IIUC the planer is 'out of production?', so future needs require that info. ;)

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

John, I was just directing him to answer the specific question he posted which was What did you use to convert to manual feed and where can I get what I need?

I looked for a long time to find brush holders, brushes, and caps for one I was working on some years back, and never found anything I could order or salvage from another DC motor for feed.

There were several motors used from different vendors through the years as I recall. I wound up trading that parts only planer for other bits and pieces.

The recent poster "modernamerican" seemed pretty resolute in his question that he wanted to convert to manual feed, and the original poster in 2015 documented what he did in the 2016 update.

There was some who were surprised that the shaft was available from Shopsmith several years back.

It shows "513347 Feed Crank Shaft $3.95 (Item may be on back-order or is made upon ordering" today.

Actually ordering it may produce a not available status, but it's still there.

There was a good bit of fabrication done by the original poster, but he got it done.

I was just pointing out the specific post in this thread where that was documented that would help "modernamerican" with his project to do the same.

I might have chosen an appropriately sized flange bearing and made the shaft myself to support the crank but you get the idea from the update post.

Flange Bearing.png
Flange Bearing.png (44.58 KiB) Viewed 10870 times


Everett

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

everettdavis wrote:John, I was just directing him to answer the specific question he posted which was What did you use to convert to manual feed and where can I get what I need?

I looked for a long time to find brush holders, brushes, and caps for one I was working on some years back, and never found anything I could order or salvage from another DC motor for feed.

There were several motors used from different vendors through the years as I recall. I wound up trading that parts only planer for other bits and pieces.

The recent poster "modernamerican" seemed pretty resolute in his question that he wanted to convert to manual feed, and the original poster in 2015 documented what he did in the 2016 update.

There was some who were surprised that the shaft was available from Shopsmith several years back.

It shows "513347 Feed Crank Shaft $3.95 (Item may be on back-order or is made upon ordering" today.

Actually ordering it may produce a not available status, but it's still there.

There was a good bit of fabrication done by the original poster, but he got it done.

I was just pointing out the specific post in this thread where that was documented that would help "modernamerican" with his project to do the same.

Everett


OK, I understand. I was just asking a question. I realize the motor assembly as a whole would be unique but why would the manufacture use non standard parts for something like brushes and caps? If you could not find the parts, they must be unique for what ever reason.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:
Not knowing the manufacturer is a hindrance.


Yes, but, brushes are brushes. All one needs is the dimensions. Same with the cap, diameter and threads.

I seriously those are proprietary/unique to the SS motor.


So measure yours and share that info with us. :cool:

IIUC the planer is 'out of production?', so future needs require that info. ;)


Well, Everett says he could not find the parts so I guess they are unique.

I am going to Wendover, NV tomorrow to see a Commodores concert and won't be back until Saturday. I am not sure I want to tempt fate but I will remove one brush and take some measurements for posterity. :rolleyes:

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Here is the company I was hoping could have found something for me. Unfortunately, I did not have brushes, brush holder, or caps to send them to match up. They did not match my existing ProPlaner.

https://www.helwigcarbon.com/products/c ... gKMlvD_BwE

If those exist somewhere, they offered to take a look to see if it could be matched up to something that was available they made for other motor vendors.

They might still do that today if we could send them representative parts from each of the various vintages of 20 year old DC motors.

I agree with the premise that it would be prohibitively expensive to engineer these parts for a specific motor and frame and it would be likely something many motor vendors might select the same components.

Identifying what went with which motor type, what is still in production, and who might sell it in small quantities opposed to 1000 units, and finding them in stock could be a logistical labyrinth to navigate.

Everett

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Here are a few examples...

Brushes Holders and Caps.png
Brushes Holders and Caps.png (248.97 KiB) Viewed 10856 times

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

This is an interesting thread that even though it first started a few years ago, I did not see it before now.
I just wondered since a feed replacement motor seems to be a "good chunk of change" to replace, has any one ever tried replacing it with a treadmill motor? There is another website on the internet dedicated to 'Shopsmith Digital Motor Conversions' using treadmill motors and controllers.
I might be reaching or taking a "Rube Goldberg" route on this one but I do really like the motorized variable speed feed motor that is a one of a kind feature on Shopsmith and not on any other planer of this is size.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

bob84 wrote:This is an interesting thread that even though it first started a few years ago, I did not see it before now.
I just wondered since a feed replacement motor seems to be a "good chunk of change" to replace, has any one ever tried replacing it with a treadmill motor? There is another website on the internet dedicated to 'Shopsmith Digital Motor Conversions' using treadmill motors and controllers.
I might be reaching or taking a "Rube Goldberg" route on this one but I do really like the motorized variable speed feed motor that is a one of a kind feature on Shopsmith and not on any other planer of this is size.


I doubt you will find a treadmill motor as small as the SS feed motor. Plus the correct mounting.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

I tempted fate!

1/4 x 5/16 x 1/2 Measured 0.246 x 0.309 x 0.477

Brush retaining cap appears to be 1/2 - 32 thread(about 3 threads).

I did NOT pull the brush holder from the motor.

I do not know anything re vintage nor any history as it was an E-bay purchase.

The part # on the tag is VO3537AA80.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

JPG wrote:I tempted fate!

1/4 x 5/16 x 1/2 Measured 0.246 x 0.309 x 0.477

Brush retaining cap appears to be 1/2 - 32 thread(about 3 threads).

I did NOT pull the brush holder from the motor.

I do not know anything re vintage nor any history as it was an E-bay purchase.

The part # on the tag is VO3537AA80.



Mine is V03537AD80

Did you make a typo? If not I will pull one and measure.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 156 guests

Board indexDelete all board cookies

Welcome to Shopsmith. Please fill in this form and we'll send you more information and special offers for the Shopsmith MARK 7 and other woodworking topics.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
cron