phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Drill press mode problem

#19409 by edski » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:58 am

When I use my 1992 Mark V model 500 in the drill press mode, I notice a considerable amount of chatter. The larger the bit, the more the chatter. The quill bearings are fine. However, I noticed a considerable amount of play between the quill housing and the headstock housing. Is there an easy and inexpensive way eliminate this play?

---

Edski
Plymouth, MA
1992 Shopsmith 500 (My third one. :D )
Other brands: table saw, jointer, drill press, lathe, bandsaw, belt sander 2 scroll saws and dust collector

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Drill press mode problem

#19412 by billmayo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:17 am

I tighten the Quill Lock Handle to the point where the quill will retract slowly when released or until the chatter stops and you can still move the quill. I would only do this when you are drilling and have chatter.

edski wrote:When I use my 1992 Mark V model 500 in the drill press mode, I notice a considerable amount of chatter. The larger the bit, the more the chatter. The quill bearings are fine. However, I noticed a considerable amount of play between the quill housing and the headstock housing. Is there an easy and inexpensive way eliminate this play?

---

Bill Mayo [url]bill.mayo@verizon.net[/url]
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)

Post a reply  Reply with quote