Hi Newt! After ordering your part, You can wait until at least August 9th and tune in on The Sawdust Session about re-assembling the headstock. If you can't find the Sawdust sessions - follow this url - http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm
judaspre1982 gave you good advice! Like him, I'm not sure if you are talking about the carriage or the headstock.
Take a look at Sawdust Session #22. Putting your troubled headstock back together is just the opposite of this session. (Provided you didn't take anything else apart yet):rolleyes: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Archives/SS122/SS122_Shopsmith_Reborn_Pt2.htm
Here is another option - step by step:
I too have dropped the motor pan while on the way tubes. Here's what I'd do to get it back on, now that the motor is loose.
1) disconnect the plug from electricity
2) disconnect the wires from the switch in the headstock - flag the wires as to which terminal they came from
3) after making sure all internal wiring is free raise the way tubes as described by judaspre
4) remove the pan and motor and put on a bench
5) re-attach the motor
6) remove the headstock from the way tubes
7) on the bench, re-connect the switch wires from the same terminals they were on before
8) re-attach the motor pan
9) put the headstock back on the way tubes as described by judaspre
OR - wait for the Sawdust Session
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA