phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

15 posts 1 2

I want a work light similar to the Shopsmith

#184133 by paulrussell » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:50 pm

I like how the Shopsmith light has a mounting system, but it is a bit pricy (given my recent PowerPro upgrade, the funds are a bit tight at the moment) and I'd rather have a LED system.

Of course I could just bit the price bullet, and put a LED replacement lamp in the Shopsmith, but there are always a lot of creative ideas here so I figured I'd ask.
Last edited by paulrussell on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: I want a work light similar to the Shopsmith

#184134 by jsburger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Just check eBay daily. They show up there fairly regularly.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

#184138 by paulrussell » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:12 pm

Thanks for the tip!

#184139 by rpd » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:34 pm

The LED lamp that reible reviews in this post, Today in the shop (let there be more light)
is the way I will eventually go.

---

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,

#184141 by chucks » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:12 pm

I know that your question is about the shopsmith light, however I just replaced my T8 florescent's with some LED lights that look like the florescent's($32 on sale @ Costco). With these I no longer needed the individual lights.

#184142 by jsburger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:30 pm

chucks wrote:I know that your question is about the shopsmith light, however I just replaced my T8 florescent's with some LED lights that look like the florescent's($32 on sale @ Costco). With these I no longer needed the individual lights.

Hmmm... What length bulbs? Is that $32 per bulb? I have T8's in the shop but I have eleven 8' fixtures with four bulbs each. That is 44 bulbs and that equates to $1400+ at $32 per bulb to upgrade. I don't think so. Besides, I can afford to pay my electric bill. I also have enough natural light due to large windows that I can actually work in the shop with the lights off.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

#184162 by paulrussell » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:01 am

I put twice the lighting I thought I'd need in my shop, spaced no farther than 5' apart. Still shadows get in the way for some things. I like the Lee Valley light RPD linked to. One less cord or hose to contend with, and super flexible aiming.

#184176 by jimthej » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:12 pm

jsburger wrote:
chucks wrote:I know that your question is about the shopsmith light, however I just replaced my T8 florescent's with some LED lights that look like the florescent's($32 on sale @ Costco). With these I no longer needed the individual lights.

Hmmm... What length bulbs? Is that $32 per bulb? I have T8's in the shop but I have eleven 8' fixtures with four bulbs each. That is 44 bulbs and that equates to $1400+ at $32 per bulb to upgrade. I don't think so. Besides, I can afford to pay my electric bill. I also have enough natural light due to large windows that I can actually work in the shop with the lights off.

The costco lights come in their own fixture. I don't know if they are replaceable. I put one in the garage, and it is about 2-1/2 times as bright as the fluorescent shop light it replaced. My wife loves it.

#184189 by paulrussell » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Free shipping over 40 bucks so I ordered the Lee Valley and two mounting plates. Thanks for the tip Ron (RPD) -- and by extension Ed (REIBLE)

#184205 by chucks » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:56 pm

jsburger wrote:

4 footers(2 per fixture) The LED tubes are not replaceable.(to my knowledge.)
I lov'em.