phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Johnsons Paste Wax Fire Starter

#263518 by WileyCoyote » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:36 pm

I tried to quickly melt some old wax yesterday to get it back to that nice, creamy consistency as opposed to blobs of wax. Apparently it burns very well and would make a great fire starter in an emergency.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Johnsons Paste Wax Fire Starter

#263519 by Gene Howe » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Oh boy. Hope you weren't hurt.

#263520 by algale » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:51 pm

From what I understand, wax plus dryer lint is a DIY fire starter recipe for those who in the camping crowd (now called "bushcraft" to sound cooler).

---

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

#263521 by jsburger » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:50 pm

WileyCoyote wrote:I tried to quickly melt some old wax yesterday to get it back to that nice, creamy consistency as opposed to blobs of wax. Apparently it burns very well and would make a great fire starter in an emergency.

Jhonson's is a carnuba wax. Carnuba wax consists of...

Carnauba wax consists of fatty acid esters (80-85%), fatty alcohols (10-16%), acids (3-6%) and hydrocarbons (1-3%). It is around 20% esterified fatty diols, 10% methoxylated or hydroxylated cinnamic acid, and 6% hydroxylated fatty acids.

That is just the Carnuba wax used in Johnson's Paste Wax. JPW also includes the following along with the above ingredients from the Carnuba wax itself.

Known Ingredients
PETROLEUM DISTILLATES. ...
PARAFFIN. ...
SYNTHETIC WAX. ...
1,2,4-TRIMETHYLBENZENE. ...
NYFD C. ...
MINERAL SPIRITS, ODORLESS.
COPERNICIA CERIFERA (CARNAUBA) WAX.

If you look at the SCJhonson web site the wax contains the following.

Deodorized Naphtha Solubilizer
Carnauba Wax Film Former
Microcrystalline Wax Film Former
Paraffin Film Former

Those ingredients include the list above them.

It is not water based so yes it will burn if hot enough.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

#263541 by WileyCoyote » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:23 pm

I had a fire burning in the back of the barn and decided to try to get it back to a smooth consistency. I placed the can on a log close to the fire. Luckily I wasn't trying it in the garage with my torch, which did enter my mind. It not only caught fire, it burned for a long time.
I had to bite the bullet and get a new can, $3.99 at HD. Not bad for a year or more of protection, and I needed it anyway.