phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Old router bits

#20905 by wgander » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:19 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement 1/4" router arbor for interchangeable cutters and edge guides?
I have a set of Sears router cutters (probably from the '70s) with an arbor and several edge guides. The shaft of the arbor is bent and I can't find anything comparable. I've checked Sears, Rockler, Home Depot, Lowe's.
It looks like all of todays cutters are a single piece - cutter, guide and arbor.

Otherwise, I'll have to start buying new router bits each time I start a new project.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

#20907 by Ed in Tampa » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:50 pm

wgander
I have a set of those router bits too. If yours are like mine do yourself a favor and toss them and get an new bit. Mine were high speed steel and to me were poorly made which is probably why you can't find a replacement for them.
My advice toss them and get yourself a good new carbide bit and see the world of difference.

#20923 by RobertTaylor » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:24 pm

i had some of those also. i used them quite a bit for small projects like ogees on shelves and the supports under them. i had two different types one was sears and the cutters screwed on a threaded end. the other was vermont-american that had a locknut on the end. i still see the vermont-american one at flea markets quite often. i think i still have a sears shaft with four different pilots.

---

Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector

#20935 by Nick » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:27 pm

Here you go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-VINTAGE-SEARS-CRAFTMAN-ROUTER-HIGH-SPEED-STEEL-BITS_W0QQitemZ280260096790QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20781QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With all good wishes,

---

old bits

#20938 by wgander » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks, Nick. I bid on them.
"Vintage" bits...guess 'm getting old.

#20945 by a1gutterman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi wgander,

Many years ago, I inherited a box of HSS Craftsman bits that my grandfather had, along with his Craftsman router. I used, perhaps abused, these bits, but they just did knot do the job for me. I had all but decided that routing was knot worth the effort, until I found and started using the carbide tipped anti-kickback bits. I wood never return to those other bits. Just my 2 cents worth.:)

---

Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.

#20946 by Nick » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:04 pm

I still have -- and use -- a set of the Sears bits we're discussing. Bought them in the early 70s. It's a little-known fact, but a fact nonetheless, that you can get good tool steel sharper than carbide with a little elbow grease and polishing compound. I use these bits on figured woods for just that reason. The edge doesn't last as long as carbide, but it cuts cleaner while it's sharp.

With all good wishes,

---

#20981 by judaspre1982 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:05 pm

=====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

router bits

#21034 by wgander » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks!
I sent you a PM.

Bill