phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

13 posts 1 2

Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265258 by dusty » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:44 am

Let us assume that we are working on a Mark 5 or a jointer or a surface planer.

Without using a PDF copy of one of the old catalogs, where do I go to find part numbers for bits and pieces of the machine in question.

The seasonal catalog no longer does that and I cannot locate a current source for that information. Does one exist? Please tell me that I am missing something and the data is all there at my finger tips.

---

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265259 by RFGuy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:46 am

Shopsmith has exploded parts diagrams for the Mark V and many of the accessories at the link below. You select which tool and then click on the exploded parts diagram link.
Does this help?

https://www.shopsmith.com/service/index.htm

---

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265260 by wa2crk » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:50 am

Go to the SS website and then go to the service and parts section. Open the section for the component that you are looking for such as "headstock" and open the exploded view and locate the part that you are looking for. Note the key number on the drawing and then go to the parts listing page for the part number and then the part number should be there.
Bill

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265272 by chapmanruss » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Dusty,

As was already said you would have to go to the Service Parts on the SS web site for part information. This can be tricky for replacing some of the older SPT's parts. The Service Parts section has only the current SPT's parts but does include the Mark V versions 500 to 520. As we know parts for the earlier Mark 5/V models are no longer made and so parts for them will no longer be available as they run out. Very few of the Mark V 500 table system parts are available anymore.

Back to the SPT's, as an example, if you need a wedge for the Jointer head and yours is an older one the current 5 hole wedge cannot replace the older 3 hole wedge. You would need to find a used one or buy a complete new Jointer Head. I had this problem on a 1954 Greenie Jointer I restored and was able to get a used one to replace a missing one. Other Jointer parts are the same going back to the original Model 4E Jointer. Using an Owner's Manual with the parts diagram and list can be helpful in locating parts. Typing in a part number in the search box on the home page can help find the correct part even if the number has changed. This is only true for the 6 digit part number starting in 1964 to the present. It will also tell you if it is no longer available by not finding any results. Other than the Jig Saw which has been discontinued and parts no longer being made for it, most SPT's can use current replacement parts but may require replacement of a complete assembly rather than an individual part.

---

Russ

Mark V 520 S/N 09-11-01 completely upgraded to Mark 7, with all SPT's & more.
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ Shopsmith metal ends & retractable casters. Has Speed Changer, Model 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E S/N 1077 oldest one I have restored. On bench w/ Shopsmith metal ends & retractable casters.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265273 by jsburger » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:06 pm

wa2crk wrote:Go to the SS website and then go to the service and parts section. Open the section for the component that you are looking for such as "headstock" and open the exploded view and locate the part that you are looking for. Note the key number on the drawing and then go to the parts listing page for the part number and then the part number should be there.
Bill


Actually you can click on the key number in the exploded parts view and it will open a window and tell you the price and a link to buy or tell you it is not available. I know the key numbers don't show as links but they are.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265275 by dusty » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:28 am

chapmanruss wrote:Dusty,

As was already said you would have to go to the Service Parts on the SS web site for part information. This can be tricky for replacing some of the older SPT's parts. The Service Parts section has only the current SPT's parts but does include the Mark V versions 500 to 520. As we know parts for the earlier Mark 5/V models are no longer made and so parts for them will no longer be available as they run out. Very few of the Mark V 500 table system parts are available anymore.

Back to the SPT's, as an example, if you need a wedge for the Jointer head and yours is an older one the current 5 hole wedge cannot replace the older 3 hole wedge. You would need to find a used one or buy a complete new Jointer Head. I had this problem on a 1954 Greenie Jointer I restored and was able to get a used one to replace a missing one. Other Jointer parts are the same going back to the original Model 4E Jointer. Using an Owner's Manual with the parts diagram and list can be helpful in locating parts. Typing in a part number in the search box on the home page can help find the correct part even if the number has changed. This is only true for the 6 digit part number starting in 1964 to the present. It will also tell you if it is no longer available by not finding any results. Other than the Jig Saw which has been discontinued and parts no longer being made for it, most SPT's can use current replacement parts but may require replacement of a complete assembly rather than an individual part.


This is all well and good but what if you are one of these users who is not experienced with the web site and how to navigate it. What if I have a part in my hands that needs to be replaced but I don't know its name or number. Looking at a catalog (parts breakdown, etc) might help.

Then, on the other hand, maybe Shopsmith is no longer really interested in being a Partner for Life.

---

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265276 by dusty » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:35 am

dusty wrote:
chapmanruss wrote:Dusty,

As was already said you would have to go to the Service Parts on the SS web site for part information. This can be tricky for replacing some of the older SPT's parts. The Service Parts section has only the current SPT's parts but does include the Mark V versions 500 to 520. As we know parts for the earlier Mark 5/V models are no longer made and so parts for them will no longer be available as they run out. Very few of the Mark V 500 table system parts are available anymore.

Back to the SPT's, as an example, if you need a wedge for the Jointer head and yours is an older one the current 5 hole wedge cannot replace the older 3 hole wedge. You would need to find a used one or buy a complete new Jointer Head. I had this problem on a 1954 Greenie Jointer I restored and was able to get a used one to replace a missing one. Other Jointer parts are the same going back to the original Model 4E Jointer. Using an Owner's Manual with the parts diagram and list can be helpful in locating parts. Typing in a part number in the search box on the home page can help find the correct part even if the number has changed. This is only true for the 6 digit part number starting in 1964 to the present. It will also tell you if it is no longer available by not finding any results. Other than the Jig Saw which has been discontinued and parts no longer being made for it, most SPT's can use current replacement parts but may require replacement of a complete assembly rather than an individual part.


This is all well and good but what if you are one of these users who is not experienced with the web site and how to navigate it. What if I have a part in my hands that needs to be replaced but I don't know its name or number. Looking at a catalog (parts breakdown, etc) might help.

Then, on the other hand, maybe Shopsmith is no longer really interested in being a Partner for Life.

You have, however, actually answered my initial question. The Service Parts area on the web site now contains a lot of information (including some parts lists) that I did not realize had been added. Like a newbee, I did not know that some of that data was there.

---

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265277 by JPG » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:34 am

Realize it appears to be a work in progress. Not all SPT's exploded view actually have the link from the parts key number. Also if an individual part is not available the click produces nothing.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265286 by chapmanruss » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:22 pm

Dusty,

Identifying what a part is and finding it's part number goes back to using an exploded parts diagram which is why I recommended using the Owner's Manual for your SPT's. This also holds true for the Mark series tools but the exploded views and parts lists were separate from the Owner's Manuals for a time. Using the original Printed Manual for the tools means not having to be a computer user and orders can be called in. Of course as I said before you need newer part numbers. If you needed a replacement Way Tube Tie Bar for a 1955 Greenie you cannot go to the parts list and use it's part number C2956 (Tie Bar - Way) to order a new one. You would need the current part number 50426401 (Way Tie Bar). Even the way the part name is listed has changed over the years as shown in the (). My guess is that anyone that can use the forum could find their way through the online exploded diagrams and parts lists.

P.S.
Dusty, Since when are you a "Newbee"? (18843 posts)

---

Russ

Mark V 520 S/N 09-11-01 completely upgraded to Mark 7, with all SPT's & more.
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ Shopsmith metal ends & retractable casters. Has Speed Changer, Model 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E S/N 1077 oldest one I have restored. On bench w/ Shopsmith metal ends & retractable casters.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Parts Catalog, Is There One

#265287 by jsburger » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:41 pm

JPG wrote:Realize it appears to be a work in progress. Not all SPT's exploded view actually have the link from the parts key number. Also if an individual part is not available the click produces nothing.


The few I tried did indeed open a window that said the part is not available. The click is a bit finicky. Zoom in and try again.

For example go to the Band Saw diagram and click on the lower wheel item 28. The window opens and says "This item is not available as a separately serviced part.
(na/ 28) ".

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Board indexDelete all board cookies

Welcome to Shopsmith. Please fill in this form and we'll send you more information and special offers for the Shopsmith MARK 7 and other woodworking topics.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required