As you know, there are optical sensors on a small circuit board under the fan on the rear of the motor. As dust accumulates on these sensors, it finally gets thick enough to block the light and cause the motor to not start, and display the dreaded 0 error.
To get back up and running is a simple matter. Just remove the motor from the head stock, then remove the black cover on the rear of the motor. (3 Screws) Then remove the spring clip that keep the fan on the shaft. i used a "pulley puller" to pull the fan blade up enough to remove the optical sensor circuit board. (Easier said than done.)
Then it is a simple matter to clean the sensors and reinstall everything. However, as everyone knows, this is a time consuming process.
Today I spoke with a friend who knows about these DVR motors. He and his company deal with a supplier which makes a special cloth like filter designed to surround DVR motors and which is held onto the motor with a rubber band. He was surprised that I had gone 4 years without encountering this error. He thought the filter goes down to 6 microns.
If there is enough interest in this, I would be happy to get more details from my friend so that anyone who wants this filter would be able to get it. I personally am going to get one of these filters, and the next time I have to remove the motor, I'm going to install it.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks to all the posts that I found, that enabled me to get my own machine up and running again. You all are the best.