phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Shopsmith User’s Manual of Bearings Project

#239169 by everettdavis » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:11 am

Shopsmith User’s Manual of Bearings Project is beginning and I have started this thread to show the various stages of data collection and presentation as I work on the manual, and to give folks a say in how it is being done.

The project will eventually include 10E, 10ER, Mark VII, Mark 5, Mark 500-520 and Mark 7 Power Pro Headstock bearings, Bandsaw, Jointer, Belt Sander, indeed all the SPT’s and everything we can collaborate and document made by Magna and the Companies Shopsmith since.

Arguably I am starting with the most complex of subjects – Quills / Spindles / Bearings and I have attached one work in process drawing to show you how I am proceeding with that piece.

Next will come the other end of the spindle with Drive Sleeve Assemblies and so on. I will from time to time publish a picture or two to show you where I am in the project and I will ask for input, recommendations and submissions from others.

Everett
Four of the Earlier Shopsmith Mark 5 - Mark V Spindle Assemblies  small.png
Four of the Earlier Shopsmith Mark 5 - Mark V Spindle Assemblies small.png (102 KiB) Viewed 235 times

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Shopsmith User’s Manual of Bearings Project

#239267 by everettdavis » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I am looking for a photo of a 2013 or newer Mark V or Mark 7 Power Pro spindle if anyone has one they can contribute to the project.

Everett

#239268 by reible » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:43 pm

everettdavis wrote:I am looking for a photo of a 2013 or newer Mark V or Mark 7 Power Pro spindle if anyone has one they can contribute to the project.

Everett

I have some time today and could pull a quill and pull it apart to get pictures and bearing info if I knew just what you wanted.

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]

#239272 by everettdavis » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:04 pm

That would be a great help. Thank you!

I would like a photo like the ones in the post above with it laid out on a table, as well as a photo of each of the two bearings where you can read the numbers Shopsmith used if possible.

Also I would like to include the date of the machine so we can establish time they were used.

Everett

#239275 by reible » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:16 pm

Rather then clutter this thread with some added information I wanted to post I stuck the information over here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20502

I hope that this is satisfactory.

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]

#239408 by everettdavis » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:37 am

With ED's help above with the Power Pro Spindle, I have enough to show a concept of where I envision this going. There are just some roughed in notes presently that will be fleshed out

Take a look at the attached PDF which is in 11 x 17 format. You will need to scale it to print on 8½ x 11 paper unless you have 11 x 17 (ledger size printer)

I presently plan to use the same format for the various drive sleeve assemblies.

Is this a presentation format you think most folks might find informative?

Everett

#239416 by jsburger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm

I like it. Very nice, especially the head stock pictures to define the model the quill is associated with.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

#239558 by everettdavis » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:06 pm

I promised folks here that I would let you see how it is progressing as I work through the bearings document I am creating. I have had encouraging feedback from the collaborators in the project who will be contributing as we get further into the actual bearings themselves.

It is no where near finished but I have attached a few pages of what I am working on. Any more pages and the file size would exceed what I could upload here.

There are a few typos, and a grammatical error or two that I know of that are on my to-do list.

The document is formatted 11 x 17 which makes it more scale capable when viewing. When I finish, it will still be 11 x 17, and users would need to tell their printer to print on 8½ x 11 paper unless they have a ledger sized printer. No point in printing it now, as it is long from finished.

Everett

Updated file with Changes in the to-do list