phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Will MkV Bandsaw fit 10ER?

#19489 by rudd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi, I'm new here, hope this is the right place to ask. I have occasional need for a bandsaw, Dad's old 10ER, and not alot of spare room. Will the MkV bandsaw attachment work with the 10ER without alot of gymnastics? The 10ER has a splined shaft on the L/H end of the headstock. Don't know if there is a difference in way tube location.

Never laid eyes on a MkV or a bandsaw attachment. I'd also want to be able to slow the bandsaw down enough to use for cutting ferrous metal.

I have a small metal shop (i.e, lathe/mill/arbor press/welder etc. ), so minor metal working to make this happen is OK.

Thanks

Rudd

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

#19493 by beeg » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:06 am

According to mySS catolag. The current bandsaw DOES NOT fit the ER or the M2.

---

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob

Will MkV Bandsaw fit 10ER?

#19494 by billmayo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:07 am

NO, the Mark V SPTs do not fit the 10ER. There is an Ebay seller that sells a special adapter and 3-step pulley with an intregrated hub that will work. The 10ER had these items but you seldom find them. You will still have a problem with getting the slower speed needed for metal cutting even with these items. I was able to cut thin aluminum without any problems but not much else. I have seen intermediate shafts and pulleys used to slow the speed down for the Mark V bandsaw so you can cut metal but it would be a make your own type task.

I finally gave up and brought a used HF metal cutting bandsaw for cutting the way and bench tubes plus other metals. The blades were only $10 each for cutting different metals. This is so much better as you start the bandsaw and it stops once the cutting is done. I am amazed at all the different uses I have found for the HF bandsaw. It will cut in the normally horizontal position and can be used in the upright position for free hand work.

rudd wrote:Hi, I'm new here, hope this is the right place to ask. I have occasional need for a bandsaw, Dad's old 10ER, and not alot of spare room. Will the MkV bandsaw attachment work with the 10ER without alot of gymnastics? The 10ER has a splined shaft on the L/H end of the headstock. Don't know if there is a difference in way tube location.

Never laid eyes on a MkV or a bandsaw attachment. I'd also want to be able to slow the bandsaw down enough to use for cutting ferrous metal.

I have a small metal shop (i.e, lathe/mill/arbor press/welder etc. ), so minor metal working to make this happen is OK.

Thanks

Rudd

---

Bill Mayo [url]bill.mayo@verizon.net[/url]
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)