SS 510/520 main table variances

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jjj240
Gold Member

SS 510/520 main table variances

Post by jjj240 »

I just noticed that newer main table (w/o ribbed pattern) does not have holes on the side edge. First of all, what was the purpose of the holes? just for mfg. ease? In fact, I have used the holes to mount ss outfeed table, which worked out OK. Now, what was the reason for replacing the holes w/ the square bump?
Attachments
re_ss table diff 01.jpg
re_ss table diff 01.jpg (344.71 KiB) Viewed 10113 times
woodmeister
Gold Member

Re: SS 510/520 main table variances

Post by woodmeister »

one with holes are to be able to attach the shaper/sander fence
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

woodmeister wrote:one with holes are to be able to attach the shaper/sander fence
Not the holes he's asking about, which are in the edges of certain tables. My 520 table has the square bumps. No idea what they are for, unless related to manufacturing.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

woodmeister
Gold Member

Post by woodmeister »

your correct I am wrong I didn't look close enough sorry
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

It is not a 510/520 thing, but rather a previous vs current thing. Yes the early 510 were different still. My early 510 has holes. Which 510 version do you have?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:It is not a 510/520 thing, but rather a previous vs current thing. Yes the early 510 were different still. My early 510 has holes. Which 510 version do you have?
Exactly! The difference between a 510 and 520 is the rail system. The table itself is basically the same and has evolved independently of the rail system.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jjj240
Gold Member

Post by jjj240 »

do they have multiple version of 510? how may i identify it?
JPG wrote:It is not a 510/520 thing, but rather a previous vs current thing. Yes the early 510 were different still. My early 510 has holes. Which 510 version do you have?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jjj240 wrote:do they have multiple version of 510? how may i identify it?
The difference between them has to do with how the rails are attached. The early version had tapped holes in the table and were secured with torx screws. That required holes in the front of the rails to access the screws.(the most obvious detail).

The current version has kep nuts and studs welded to the back side of the rails.

A pickey detail is the earlier rail tubes are thicker.

Most likely you have a 'later' version, but I wanted to compare 'the holes'. What size are the 'mystery' holes and are they tapped?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG wrote:
jjj240 wrote:do they have multiple version of 510? how may i identify it?
The difference between them has to do with how the rails are attached. The early version had tapped holes in the table and were secured with torx screws. That required holes in the front of the rails to access the screws.(the most obvious detail).

The current version has kep nuts and studs welded to the back side of the rails.

A pickey detail is the earlier rail tubes are thicker.

Most likely you have a 'later' version, but I wanted to compare 'the holes'. What size are the 'mystery' holes and are they tapped?
Getting really picky we find that the walls are thicker but the outside diameters are the same.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:
woodmeister wrote:one with holes are to be able to attach the shaper/sander fence
Not the holes he's asking about, which are in the edges of certain tables. My 520 table has the square bumps. No idea what they are for, unless related to manufacturing.
I was told by Nick that the holes vs the square bumps resulted in a change in manufacturing processes. These are used during the milling process to secure the tables in the milling machine. It is significant to note that they ARE NOT reference points.

I dislike the bumps because they prevent adjacent tables from "coming together".

I do not utilize the holes for mounting purposes because the sides of the table are rather thin and are cast (not as strong as one might think).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.