510 to 520 upgrade

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

510 to 520 upgrade

Post by dusty »

If you will browse through all of the posts in this forum, you will find that you are but one of several who have been restricted (for medical reasons) from using their SS. I am one.

However, don't wait for the upgrade to get out there in the shop and enjoy your Shopsmith. Using it is great therapy, no matter why you have been away. The SS is a great tool even without the upgrade. It is fantastic with the upgrade.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

batg4

I am curious. In a post earlier in this thread,. you indicated that you were about to realign your tables. How did that go. I am certain that they will align to your satisfaction.

Have you decided to upgrade to the 520. When you do, I know you'll be impressed with the new characteristics and capabilities. The ease/accuracy of setting a rip size is unbelieveable.
I aligned the table, but it was hard to move the table to drill-press mode. I'm going to try Nick's suggestion to correct this, but haven't had a chance yet. The 520 upgrade will have to wait 'til next year, I'm afraid. The boss said no this time. :)
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Why studs instead of bolts?

Post by paulmcohen »

reible wrote:Hi,
I did make some additional changes by upgrading the extension table to use studs for the height/level adjustments... (it had been a 500 table upgraded to a 510 with the 4 bolts where you add the washers to get it leveled.... much better with the studs).
Ed
I have seen this comment in several places and I don't understand why the stud is better then the long both the 500 came with (I upgraded to 520 with rip scale and love it). What am I missing?

My bolts also have two nuts and washers.
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

batg4 wrote:The 520 upgrade will have to wait 'til next year, I'm afraid. The boss said no this time. :)
Without knowing the boss tell her she collects clothes/Jelelry, you collect tools. It got me my 520 upgrade.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

paulmcohen wrote:I have seen this comment in several places and I don't understand why the stud is better then the long both the 500 came with (I upgraded to 520 with rip scale and love it). What am I missing?

My bolts also have two nuts and washers.
Hi,

It sounds like you have the studs...... the bolts are just that, you need to add or remove washers to level the table but it is a pain because you have to remove the bolt to slip the washer(s) in place then put the bolt back in and retighten check and maybe do over again at all four locations.... trust me when I say it is much easier with the two nuts method.

For what the bolt looks like see the last image at:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showpos ... ostcount=8

Ed
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Studs vs. Bolts

Post by paulmcohen »

I think I have a hybrid, it is a very long bolt with two nuts (like the stud) but the stud has a head which helps tighten it to the bottom of the table. It does not look like the picture which would be a real pain to use.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

paulmcohen wrote:I think I have a hybrid, it is a very long bolt with two nuts (like the stud) but the stud has a head which helps tighten it to the bottom of the table. It does not look like the picture which would be a real pain to use.
I suppose you could use a long bolt instead of studs, but there is no need for a head. As stated in the other post the stud can be tightened with two nuts locked together, then remove them to install the nuts and washers. You'll never need to remove the stud, thus no need for a head. :)
kb0ppy
Bronze Member

Post by kb0ppy »

I just upgraded from a 500 to 520, BEST feature I have found are the really heavy duty fence with all kinds of options for mounting different jigs and fixtures using their slidding t-nuts on any of the three sides! The kit came all totally aligned with VERY little adjustments to square ups to adjust. My tables aligned up perfectly and so many options for arrangements! AND excellent instructions!
ALSO the really neat feature is their new magnetic tape measurer to align the fence up with out doing a measurement from the blade! It mounts on the edge of the table UNDER the fence, and can be easily changed for either a left or right hand cut for perfect accuracy!
I couldn't be happier with the purchase, especially after the sale price of it!
BILL
dusty
Platinum Member

510 to 520 Upgrade

Post by dusty »

If you are as happy with your Shopsmith as I have been with mine, you'll find it difficult to not brag about it. I found it so difficult I quit trying. Face it, it is what it is - your Shopsmith 520Pro.:)

Post by putttn »

What year did the 520 begin? How expensive to upgrade?