Shopsmith Jacobs 3326 Chuck Key Needed

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Here is a 3326(on the left) and a multicraft(on the right).
[ATTACH]3193[/ATTACH]
The keys are a [k32] for the 3326 and a [kk] for the multicraft. The k32 has a 1/4" pilot and the multicraft has a 9/32" pilot. It is interesting to notice the 3326 has a 3/8x16 set screw BUT with a 5/32" allen wrench hole. The multicraft came with a goldie purchased new in 1963. The 3326 was purchased for $0.50 at a garage sale(it WAS badly rusted and reluctant to adjust). Notice also the different 'gearing' on the keys and chucks.

The following pix are different views of the same two chucks/keys.
[ATTACH]3195[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3194[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]3196[/ATTACH]

Just as a side interest for SMALL bits, the following pix is of a jacobs model 0 which has an adjustment range of 0.0 to 5/32". The rear shaft is 1/4".
[ATTACH]3197[/ATTACH]
Attachments
3326 multicraft1.jpg
3326 multicraft1.jpg (284.69 KiB) Viewed 12841 times
3326 multicraft 3.jpg
3326 multicraft 3.jpg (251.08 KiB) Viewed 12839 times
3326 multicraft 2.jpg
3326 multicraft 2.jpg (277.38 KiB) Viewed 12839 times
3326 multicraft 4.jpg
3326 multicraft 4.jpg (354.64 KiB) Viewed 12845 times
jacobs 0.jpg
jacobs 0.jpg (314.37 KiB) Viewed 12843 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I got an answer from Mike at Jacobs regarding my inquiry about the model #3326 (without the "A"):

[quote]
[align=left]Tim,[/align]

[align=left]We no longer make this model, it's been obsolete for several years. If you don't want to make an adaptor for a keyless chuck, the only other option I can suggest is to take a 3326A key chuck and drill & tap it as shown in the picture.[/align]

[align=left]Thanks,
Mike[/align]
[/quote]

[align=left]Mike does not realize that I can still buy keyed chucks for the SS from other then Jacobs, so his reference to drilling and tapping a 3326A is misplaced here. I originally was asking him about the availability of a keyless drill chuck that could replace the MC8K26 or the 3326. There is none available through Jacobs.[/align]

[align=left]The "picture" that he is referring to is a spec sheet for the 3326A, that when I resize it to comply with this forum requirements, is unreadable. If anyone is interested in that spec sheet, I will e-mail it to you. Just PM me your e-address.[/align]
[/color]
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
wallygoots
Silver Member

I know this is an old thread...

Post by wallygoots »

... but our Shopsmith are not going anywhere. :)

I have what appears to be the same chuck that Tim posted pictures of. Mine is bored all the way through and has same appointments and dimensions, but it lacks the shopsmith logo. Jacobs said that Tim's chuck is not a Jacobs, and I assume mine is not as well. The part above the cogs (in the last picture standing upright) is taller than a Jacobs chuck.

My Shopsmith is a Mark V of about 28 years old that I have fully cleaned, painted, oiled. It works beautifully... but my chuck is keyless. Tim, if you are still around, did you find a key?

Best,
Seth
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

[quote="8iowa"]This has been an interesting discussion. I have just pulled both my old and new chucks out of the tool chest and find]

My 83 500 came with a Cushman Chuck #C13LS (capacity 2 - 13mm or 5/64 - 1/2") I suspect yours is they same as mine. I haven't used mine since I bought it a few weeks ago, it has some surface rust in a few spots need to give it an evaporust bath and clean it up. It is solid and you cannot see through it like some of the other chucks. Wonder when they started changing chucks or did they offer both types when the machine was purchased?
Attachments
Cushman Chuck.jpg
Cushman Chuck.jpg (95.17 KiB) Viewed 12588 times
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

easterngray wrote:or better yet - a new one from SS! :)
I have one that looks like that but don't know what the issue is with what you are looking for. I'm parting out MK VII and selling off some 510 parts. This chuck and key look like what I have. PM me and I'll see if I can help.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Just curious. After you have successfully sold off all that you want to sell - will you still have reason to be an active member of this forum.

I ask because I just can not imaging selling equipment that I might need later.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
trainguytom
Gold Member

Go to the hardware store

Post by trainguytom »

I had a chuck, (same #) & just took it to the hardware store, Ace, I think, and matched it up. It cost about $4.
My dad's 1951 10er, 2 more 10er's, same vintage, a Goldie MK5, a 510 shortie with 34inch tubes, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, a ton of small SS goodies and still looking...you just can't have enough Shopsmith stuff
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

db5 wrote:I have one that looks like that but don't know what the issue is with what you are looking for. I'm parting out MK VII and selling off some 510 parts. This chuck and key look like what I have. PM me and I'll see if I can help.
If 'this' one you have was original to the Mark VII, it is a Jacobs Multicraft chuck and uses the Jacobs KK key.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Guitpicr
Bronze Member

Re:

Post by Guitpicr »

nuhobby wrote:bucksaw,

I don't know what vintage it is, but I have one older SS chuck-key that has no chuck to go with it. I never use it (obviously) so if you can't find one then shoot me a PM, and you can have mine; hopefully it could work.
Hello sir I just got a 10e tools where lost also chuck key 3326. Is needed thanks for any help
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Shopsmith Jacobs 3326 Chuck Key Needed

Post by JPG »

For a 3326A Jacobs chuck you need a Jacobs K32 key.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝