dust collector Noise

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

termite06
Gold Member

dust collector Noise

Post by termite06 »

I bought a SS dust collector Nov 06, Oct 07 it started making a LOUD buzzing sound. after cleaning, it still made the sound. called SS, Motor was bad.
[align=center]11 months[/align][/color]
it then took a few weeks for the new motor to come in and was told NOT to install until i call back.
computer is down,computer maintainence,lunch,'disconnection'
I finally got ahold of SS 3-14-08. I was told i could have put the motor in at any time, they just wanted to know if I had any Questions.Then was told to take the old motor to fed-ex to ship back, on my $.
after calling back in a few days, i was told that they didn't fill in half the info on the comp.
"customer to send back for research"?
After 11 1/2 minutes I was told to write some stuff on the box and leave it on my porch in 2 days.fed-ex came by and picked it up on SS's $.
[align=center]Is this the normal way for things to go with SS?[/align][/u][/b][/color]
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

termite06 wrote:".... it then took a few weeks for the new motor to come in and was told NOT to install until i call back.
computer is down,computer maintainence,lunch,'disconnection'
I finally got ahold of SS 3-14-08. I was told i could have put the motor in at any time, they just wanted to know if I had any Questions.Then was told to take the old motor to fed-ex to ship back, on my $.
after calling back in a few days, i was told that they didn't fill in half the info on the comp.
"customer to send back for research"?
After 11 1/2 minutes I was told to write some stuff on the box and leave it on my porch in 2 days.fed-ex came by and picked it up on SS's $.
[align=center]Is this the normal way for things to go with SS?[/align][/u][/b][/color]
NO! Your experience is WAY out of the ordinary from mine! - and from what I read, many others also!

Glad you posted this - It will probably be seen by someone at Shopsmith who can relay, your trials and fix the situation. I Hope!

All of my experiences with the company have been top notch! Many others on this forum have testified about the wonderful customer service they have received from Shopsmith! Back when I returned a Crafter's Station, SS sent me the sticker to put on my box for return shipping. Fed EX picked it up with no expense from me.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
PTWFE
Gold Member

Post by PTWFE »

When I purchased my DC a few years ago it arrived with a "buzz" that when the unit was switched off slowed down to sound like a rattle and then eventually a bumping of the fan on the housing. Disassembly by myself confirmed that diagnosis.

One call to SS and a replacement fan was on it's way. That lessened the problem but didn't solve it. A second call and a complete "housing pack" was on it's way and one that had been personally checked out by Jim McCann. He'd even placed a handwritten note in the box with his direct phone number on it.

As promised, no problems with the replacement and they paid to have FedEx Ground come and pick up the defective housing and ship it back to SS.

Just one example of the world class customer service I've received from Shopsmith over the years.

More recently I'd ordered a quill feed handle. The threads were messed up on either the handle or the hub and they wouldn't thread together. Rethreading used parts is one thing but I don't think I should have to brand new ones. Jan at SS didn't either and a replacement went out to me immediately, no questions asked.

Your experience is not characteristic of Shopsmith I don't believe.
Thank you, Dr. Goldschmidt
From a Shopsmith activist since 1983 ;)
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Order Correction

Post by kd6vpe »

I can add I'm right now in the middle of an order situation. I got more that I asked for. Called customer service. I have one part on backorder but once that comes in I was told just call and they will send me what I need to send the extra parts back at their cost and they will credit my account. This is the Shopsmith I know and love.:)
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
fjimp
Platinum Member

Unusual Service

Post by fjimp »

I beleive your experience is far from normal with Shopsmith. I purchased a Sand Flee recently. When it arrived it clearly had been mis packaged and not assembled satisfactorly. I called shopsmith who wanted to contact sandflee for resolution. After seveal days I elected to make the necessary modification in the assembly myself and shopsmith blessed my doing so. I have never heard a word from Sandflee however recieved an apology from Shopsmith Customer Service and even received a gift card for my trouble. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I have had really good service as well. On time when I heard a weird noise in my dust collector, I found a piece of paper towel edged into the fan. Took that out and there was no more problem.

BPR