Shopsmith 20" Scroll Saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tgamel
Gold Member

Shopsmith 20" Scroll Saw

Post by tgamel »

I was just curious if anyone on here has purchased or used the 20" scroll saw listed n the picture below. I just purchased a 1962 Goldie yesterday and the gentlemen I purchased it from had one collecting dust in his shop. When I saw it I said "wow, wish my Porter Cable scroll saw table was that large." He told me for $200 it was mine, that every time he tried to use it he broke the blade. This is of course not uncommon for new scroll saw users and should be no reflection on the saw. There was no room in the trailer yesterday for it, but am thinking about going back and buying it. The price is about the same as I paid for my PC new about 6 months ago.

[ATTACH]21026[/ATTACH]

If you have one or have used one, how does it compare to other scroll saws? Do you like it? I see it is still being offered on the SS website for $699.00. I could buy quite a few replacement parts for the Goldie for $200, but not sure if I will come across another of these soon and in as good of shape as it appeared. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Todd
Attachments
Shopsmith Scroll Saw.jpg
Shopsmith Scroll Saw.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 27867 times
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tgamel wrote:I was just curious if anyone on here has purchased or used the 20" scroll saw listed n the picture below. I just purchased a 1962 Goldie yesterday and the gentlemen I purchased it from had one collecting dust in his shop. When I saw it I said "wow, wish my Porter Cable scroll saw table was that large." He told me for $200 it was mine, that every time he tried to use it he broke the blade. This is of course not uncommon for new scroll saw users and should be no reflection on the saw. There was no room in the trailer yesterday for it, but am thinking about going back and buying it. The price is about the same as I paid for my PC new about 6 months ago.

[ATTACH]21026[/ATTACH]

If you have one or have used one, how does it compare to other scroll saws? Do you like it? I see it is still being offered on the SS website for $699.00. I could buy quite a few replacement parts for the Goldie for $200, but not sure if I will come across another of these soon and in as good of shape as it appeared. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Todd

I have one and I am very satisfied with its performance. I have used a Hawk but that was so long ago that any comparison would be useless.

If you are breaking blades, I would suspect that you are not tensioned properly or that you are rushing the cut. It is important with a scroll saw, more so that a band saw, that you let the blade do the work. Do not push the material through the cut.

The one I have looks just like yours except that my gray color may be a bit darker.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

dusty wrote:I have one and I am very satisfied with its performance. I have used a Hawk but that was so long ago that any comparison would be useless.

If you are breaking blades, I would suspect that you are not tensioned properly or that you are rushing the cut. It is important with a scroll saw, more so that a band saw, that you let the blade do the work. Do not push the material through the cut.
Thanks Dusty, it is not mine yet, but seriously considering it. Having better quality blades such as Flying Dutchman, really make a difference in saw performance. I agree with you I figure his problem was unequal use of pressure, poor blade quality, and rushing the cut. Glad to see you are happy with yours.

Todd
Todd (Canton, TX)

1962 Magna Corporation Mark V Goldie (Serial #379277); 1983 Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 (Serial #165199, w/bandsaw & joiner), Shopsmith 20" Scroll saw w/stand (Serial #030191), and Shopsmith DC3300 dust collection system. Taking my time, learning all I can and making a big mess!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tgamel wrote:Thanks Dusty, it is not mine yet, but seriously considering it. Having better quality blades such as Flying Dutchman, really make a difference in saw performance. I agree with you I figure his problem was unequal use of pressure, poor blade quality, and rushing the cut. Glad to see you are happy with yours.

Todd
The kids use my scroll much more frequently than I do. They have gotten into crafting Christmas gifts and the scroll saw is their primary tool. Scheduling can get to be a problem. I can not get any of them to consider making Christmas gifts in July or August. October maybe but usually everyone wants time during November.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

My conjecture would be that it has seen little use due the the blade breakage 'issue' with the owner.

I concur that it is an opportunity which seldom comes along.

Assuming you have(or anticipate one) a 'need' for one IIWM, I would just go get it!;)

$200 may be on the high side, but condition may justify it.

It is an older version, but that does not diminish it's value other than if considering resale later IMHO.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:My conjecture would be that it has seen little use due the the blade breakage 'issue' with the owner.

I concur that it is an opportunity which seldom comes along.

Assuming you have(or anticipate one) a 'need' for one IIWM, I would just go get it!]may[/B] be on the high side, but condition may justify it.

It is an older version, but that does not diminish it's value other than if considering resale later IMHO.

There is at least one upgrade (quick blade change) that is probably not incorporated in this unit. It appears to have the variable speed control box and, if that works, it alone is worth >$100.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I got one last fall and started using it and comparing it to my dewalt 788. The SS scroll saw is every bit as good. One on the stand like that is worth the 200.
Paul B
tgamel
Gold Member

Post by tgamel »

moggymatt wrote:I got one last fall and started using it and comparing it to my dewalt 788. The SS scroll saw is every bit as good. One on the stand like that is worth the 200.
Seems like everyone that has had this scroll saw likes it. Would love to pick it up this weekend, but have to build a 6x8ft potting shed for the better half. The more stuff I build for her, the more I can justify new toys....:) :) :)

Todd
Todd (Canton, TX)

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

tgamel wrote:Seems like everyone that has had this scroll saw likes it. Would love to pick it up this weekend, but have to build a 6x8ft potting shed for the better half. The more stuff I build for her, the more I can justify new toys....:) :) :)

Todd

You'll NEED that scroll saw for that project. ]
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
henecle
Gold Member

Don't forget the upgrade...

Post by henecle »

I bought one a few years ago as well, unused by the original owner. ;) put the upgrade on off she went... :)

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... change.htm
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"