Just rescued a Sawsmith 2000 Ultra...

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

apexsunguitars wrote:are there many shared parts between this saw and a mark V?
Extension table legs and 't' joints!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
henecle
Gold Member

Shared parts...

Post by henecle »

Appears to be just a few not counting nuts and bolts... blades, arbors, upper and lower guards, support legs look similar, dust collection fittings, safety gear and that's about all I can see. The miter gauge uses the same parts but a different bar. Maybe the 510-like rails on the Standard and Pro models might be transportable, not sure. I think the fence would be too long.

SS carries next to no parts for them any more, they did a big sell off a few years ago. I picked up a spare motor still in the box off eBay just in case. There were different inserts and a dado arbor. I'm looking for those but it will probably be a long wait or come with the purchase of another saw as a spare parts donor... that's what I've done with my Sawsmith RAS. Buy two to make one. :)
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

I may have to ask the administrator to ad a bylaw to "not covet thy fellow forum members SS2K". Each time I see a photo, I am struck by what a great saw you found!
I think you will find that the 510/520 Dado Arbor will work on the SS2K. I can see no difference between my 510 arbors and the one that came with my SS2K,as far as I can tell they are identical.
As for the table inserts, the PO of my SS2K had some made out of stainless steel. They work flawlessly, just one avenue to consider.
I was wondering, did your Incra Miter Table set require any modifications for use on the SS2K?
henecle
Gold Member

Post by henecle »

Thanks recurvearcher. I got pretty lucky with this... It was a CL ad and a long drive hoping that it would match what the seller described. I had had the Incra Miter 5000 still in the box from buying my now Mark 7 PP and hadn't ever opened it up (PO had bought the then Mark V 510 and many other SS toys then passed suddenly so most weren't even opened). :( Everything installed/set-up perfectly on the SS2K, just had to switch the gauge from the left side (of the blade) to the right side but the instructions included the steps on how to make the change. Made two saw cuts and completed final assembly. Seems to work just fine. :)
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
perryobear
Gold Member

Post by perryobear »

Hi,

Posted some photos a long while back with some comparisons of Mk5 and SS2K arbors.

http://picasaweb.google.com/PERRYOBEAR/SSARBORS#

As you can see the Mk5 and SS2K dado arbors are just a bit different. It may not matter if you end up making your own dado table insert for the SS2K.

Dennis
recurvearcher
Gold Member

Post by recurvearcher »

The PO of my saw had the table inserts made..that may be why my SS2K dado arbor is the same as the one for my 510/520. Thanks for the correction.
Tenfingers
Gold Member

Re: Just rescued a Sawsmith 2000 Ultra...

Post by Tenfingers »

Hello folks, I too recently came into possession of a garage sale shopsmith 2000. I've been needing a table saw for quite some time and $50 seem to fit my arbitrary budget. I have found several parts that are interchangeable between the shopsmith mark 5 and a table saw including the extension rails, dust collection Shield, blade guard and the existing blades. However, I have absolutely no idea how to use a table saw that slides back and forth and I can't find anywhere in the manual of how to lock it in place to use it like a regular good old table saw. If anyone has knowledge on how to do this and would like to share, please let me know as I would like to keep my username accurate. The saw itself is a beast and has shown very little sign of aging. Every time I swear off shopsmith for a one tool per job approach, they suck me back in.

Still not a bad haul for seventy bucks. You can never have enough clamps.
rpd
Platinum Member

Re: Just rescued a Sawsmith 2000 Ultra...

Post by rpd »

Tenfingers wrote:Hello folks, I too recently came into possession of a garage sale shopsmith 2000. I've been needing a table saw for quite some time and $50 seem to fit my arbitrary budget. I have found several parts that are interchangeable between the shopsmith mark 5 and a table saw including the extension rails, dust collection Shield, blade guard and the existing blades. However, I have absolutely no idea how to use a table saw that slides back and forth and I can't find anywhere in the manual of how to lock it in place to use it like a regular good old table saw. If anyone has knowledge on how to do this and would like to share, please let me know as I would like to keep my username accurate. The saw itself is a beast and has shown very little sign of aging. Every time I swear off shopsmith for a one tool per job approach, they suck me back in.

Still not a bad haul for seventy bucks. You can never have enough clamps.
Welcome aboard. :) And welcome back to the SS fold. ;)

You can download a Shopsmith 2000 manual from this link.

https://shopsmithinfo.online/manuals-an ... 8af4c80fda
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,