Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I was at the New England Woodworkers Show this past weekend and purchased a Carter Band Saw Stabilizer. I am hoping that they are half as good as the demonstration! Oh, and across from the Carter booth was the Shopsmith booth. Great demo on the Mark vII. :) Had not planned to buy one, but the tool gods were calling to me. Should be here (with a "free" dust collector) in a few weeks. :D Much improved over my 1982 all original Mark V. Not quite sure what I will do with that, but the bearings are howling...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I was at the New England Woodworkers Show this past weekend and purchased a Carter Band Saw Stabilizer. I am hoping that they are half as good as the demonstration! Oh, and across from the Carter booth was the Shopsmith booth. Great demo on the Mark vII. :) Had not planned to buy one, but the tool gods were calling to me. Should be here (with a "free" dust collector) in a few weeks. :D Much improved over my 1982 all original Mark V. Not quite sure what I will do with that, but the bearings are howling...
So 'feed' them.:D

Do not be hasty re parting with it!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Definitely not going to part it out. I'll probably throw in a new idler shaft and drive shaft bearings (or shaft), maybe a new two bearing quill. The sheaves all seem to move back and forth easily.... Probably dedicate it to the sander or bandsaw.... So many decisions! :rolleyes:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ChrisNeilan wrote:Definitely not going to part it out. I'll probably throw in a new idler shaft and drive shaft bearings (or shaft), maybe a new two bearing quill. The sheaves all seem to move back and forth easily.... Probably dedicate it to the sander or bandsaw.... So many decisions! :rolleyes:
I said "part with", not part out!:)

The sander/bandsaw do not need a two bearing quill!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

ChrisNeilan wrote:I was at the New England Woodworkers Show this past weekend and purchased a Carter Band Saw Stabilizer. I am hoping that they are half as good as the demonstration! Oh, and across from the Carter booth was the Shopsmith booth. Great demo on the Mark vII. :) Had not planned to buy one, but the tool gods were calling to me. Should be here (with a "free" dust collector) in a few weeks. :D Much improved over my 1982 all original Mark V. Not quite sure what I will do with that, but the bearings are howling...
I believe my Shopsmith Bandsaw Blade Guide Double Bearing Upgrade Package offers the same benefits as the Carter Band Saw Stabilizer ($80) for a lot less money. Since my package stablizes the blade on top and bottom of the table, I would believe it keeps the blade even more stable than the Carter. You can also just use my top double bearing upgrade just like the Carter for the very narrow blades but I found having the blade stablized at both the top and bottom of the table worked better for me. I recommend cool blocks for the 1/4" and narrower blades but have ceramic guide blocks available for blades larger than 1/4". My latest ABEC7 rated bearings have a more rounded edge so the bandsaw blade tracks a little deeper between the two bearings. So after 6 months of testing, these bearings have been quieter and more stable than the previous blade guide double bearing (ABEC3) upgrade package that I had been offering.

For anyone buying the Do-It-Yourself PowerPro Upgrade Kit (556177), I have available both "B" and "C" headstocks with holes drilled for the PowerPro motor and power supply along with the power cord relocated with all the needed parts to complete this headstock. You just have to assemble the PowerPro kit into this headstock without any drilling of holes. This allows you to keep your current headstock intact and available for use while the PowerPro is being assemblied and tested. I also have MINI and SHORTY 500 frame kits available to mount your current headstock for a second Shopsmith. I have available headstocks with all the needed parts for a complete headstock using the parts removed when doing the Shopsmith Do-It-Yourself PowerPro Upgrade Kit. Please contact me off-line for more information.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I think you are going to enjoy both purchases.

I (and several others here) have the Carter stabilizer, in fact I have one for other bandsaw and for my shopsmith. If you want to do some fancy scroll work this is the way to go. I have the other guide block set from Carter on my other bandsaw and that was a major improvement for that saw.

The other purchase, if you liked your old shopsmith then you will love the new one.

As for the older one, if you have room keep it. Do a rebuild as needed and then you will have a backup machine and remember it still has those 5 functions it started with so you can have each machine available for any project you might think up.

Ed
RKramkowski
Bronze Member

Re: Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer

Post by RKramkowski »

Hi Bill, do you still sell the bearings? if so, how do I contact you?

Bob
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Bob, please note that Bill's post was in 2006. He has since passed away. Sorely missed.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Chris
Re build that headstock. Not a difficult job and the machine will run for another 35 years!!!
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wa2crk wrote:Chris
Re build that headstock. Not a difficult job and the machine will run for another 35 years!!!
Bill V
The thread is 5 1/2 years old. :confused: :confused: :confused:
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT