Spiffy New Bandsaw Fence

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

deanthom
Gold Member

Spiffy New Bandsaw Fence

Post by deanthom »

Just got an email note about what looks like a dramatic revamp on the bandsaw table and fence.

I have a mid 80's bandsaw that had the aluminum table on it when I bought it new. I added the upgrade fence immediately and have been very pleased with it for a very long time. Since that time, I sold my clone and bought a "real" Shopsmith, a 91 that was born a 510 but that came with a poorly installed 520 kit. I love the 520 system on the table saw components and can hardly imagine how I got by all those years without it.

Now I see this updated fence and wonder if I would need the whole enchilada or if I'd only need parts and pieces to make my 520 fence work on the bandsaw table.

Nick or other SS-Tech savvy folks out there, please come to my aid!:)
Dean Thomas
KCMO
520, jointer, bandsaw, stripsander
chiroindixon
Gold Member

Whole enchilada

Post by chiroindixon »

Looks like you buy the entire deal. New bandsaw fence is 20"...the ProFence is 24". I studied it closely......

Doc
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

Has anyone actually seen this new fence, it is on special with free shipping until Monday.
dusty
Platinum Member

Spiffy New Bandsaw Fence

Post by dusty »

What sort of work do you do that necessitates enough resawing to warrent the price of a special fence.

Looking at the pictures it appears that it is micro adjustable from square to some degree out of square. What is the typical "lead" of a bandsaw blade? How far out of square does the fence have to be to follow it?

Can I buy bandsaw blades that have "0" lead and fit the Shopsmith Bandsaw? I have seen some ads that imply I can. How much do they cost? They have to be pretty expensive to to warrent a fence rather than a stock of "0" lead blades.
Platinum Member

Spiffy New Bandsaw Fence

Post by dusty »

What sort of work do you do that necessitates enough resawing to warrent the price of a special fence.

Looking at the pictures it appears that it is micro adjustable from square to some degree out of square. What is the typical "lead" of a bandsaw blade? How far out of square does the fence have to be to follow it?

Can I buy bandsaw blades that have "0" lead and fit the Shopsmith Bandsaw? I have seen some ads that imply I can. How much do they cost? They have to be pretty expensive to to warrent a fence rather than a stock of "0" lead blades.

o lead bandsaw blades

Post by s.henderson »

I am not familiar with this new fence you are talking about but as far as "0 lead blades" are concerned, there are probably maneymanufactures that can ship you a brand new blade that will not track the first time or two you use it. However increased use especialy in hardwoods will dull the burs and who is to say that they will all wear evenly. You will wittness the tracking if they don't.

Scott
ericolson
Gold Member

Post by ericolson »

That's a Kreg Bandsaw fence, made for the Shopsmith bandsaw. I used to have one on a 14" saw I owned. Loved it, swore by it, wish I had another one. In my opinion, it's well worth the price. It'll kinda make you wish the 520 fence was set up the same way. Sturdy, tight locking, and durable as heck.
As far as resawing, for me, I do it all the time. I work almost exclusively with rough sawn lumber and do all of my own dimensioning. The curved fence face is A LOT easier than trying to adjust a straight fence for blade drift. I use a shop-made curved fence on my big 30" bandsaw for making big lumber into smaller lumber, milling veneers, etc.
I use the Shopsmith bandsaw for extremely detailed work or when I've got a particular piece of stock that I want to turn into veneer and the 30" would just be WAY overkill!!
Looks to me like Shopsmith is going in the right direction with the aftermarket items it's offering now: Incra table saw fence system, Kreg bandsaw fence, Oneway turning items, etc. The variety is nice!
Eric
Rock Creek Designs

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat!