Rehab Addict goes Eccentric!

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nuhobby
Platinum Member

Rehab Addict goes Eccentric!

Post by nuhobby »

Yet another little distraction from my big projects which never get done....

Having used a square-blade old wooden Rabbet Plane on a recent frame&panel job, I got the itch for a Skew-blade rabbeting plane. Ended up dumping some cash on a used Lie Nielsen No. 140 which is a gadget-lover's dream made of heavy bronze, and including a Fence. But it was in pretty rough shape. I spent 2 hours getting the blade reground and sharpened to my satisfaction. Next big problem was the front Knob being all beat-up and ugly.

I used the following 'jig' in my repair. This lathe faceplate is used on 90% of my turning jobs; I love having a solid glue mount most of the time. But this time I put in a fairly sloppy center screw, with the intention of being able to turn a deliberate eccentric:

[ATTACH]25435[/ATTACH]

I reused the original Cherry knob from the plane. I glued on a new bottom to get a fresh edge there, and then I mounted the knob a little bit eccentric on my faceplate. After light turning and sanding, I had a lopsided knob just right for my challenge. Here, you can see the asymmetrical knob is situated to add more clearance to the 2 frequently-used screws that caused the dinging of the knob to begin with....

[ATTACH]25434[/ATTACH]

When one removes some of those screws and messes with the gadgetry, one can have a Rabbeting plane by virtue of the side of the plane being removed:

[ATTACH]25437[/ATTACH]

Finally, with a very sharp blade and almost everything done, a test cut is the neatest rabbet you ever saw!

[ATTACH]25436[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Eccentric Knob Mounted.jpg
Eccentric Knob Mounted.jpg (122.49 KiB) Viewed 25455 times
Eccentric Knob Jig.jpg
Eccentric Knob Jig.jpg (139 KiB) Viewed 25451 times
LN140 Plane in Action.jpg
LN140 Plane in Action.jpg (120.29 KiB) Viewed 25453 times
LN140 Side Removed.jpg
LN140 Side Removed.jpg (131.73 KiB) Viewed 25453 times
Chris
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Chris, I think YOU'RE the one that's eccentric, and a little skewed, too.:D

(Really, more eccentric than a full-race cam.)(Sorry, had to go there!):eek:

Seriously, good work, and a good fix for a design flaw.

THANKS for posting this, I'm impressed.

steve
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

Nice... I Love hand planes

Well it doesn't say Stanley buy the knob so I guess it's not a Stanley 140.
I have a Millers Falls 07 it doesn't quite look like that.
What plane is it?

EDIT DUHH I went back and read
now I like it even better
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Very nice job Chris ...
You did not take the before picture so we could've appreciated more your work.
Thanks for posting, I have to do a knob for my Stanley #2 but still have not found the right piece of wood yet.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
nuhobby
Platinum Member

'Before' picture

Post by nuhobby »

Thanks for your good-humored support!

I had neglected to document my work before, but by searching a certain "flea-market bay" website, I found a picture....

[ATTACH]25452[/ATTACH]

The knob was nicked in several places, both top and bottom. I ended up shaving and replacing the bottom 1/8" of the knob with my overarm router. The upper part of the knob, I concentrated on (eccentric) wood removal and finishing.

All I have to do now is come up with a better-looking screw for the cap-holder (replacing that black-oxide one that a prior owner put in).
Attachments
LN140Before.jpg
LN140Before.jpg (145.12 KiB) Viewed 25331 times
Chris
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

I like your Sheffield screwdriver!
John
nuhobby
Platinum Member

As a ChromeDome, I had to do this

Post by nuhobby »

After a bit I located a nice oval-head screw for the lever-cap. I also contemplated the Bronze being not quite as shiny as I'd hoped. Plain old Brasso and elbow-grease only went so far.

Using my Dremel buffer-tip and compound showed a lot of promise for shine-level, but it was leaving small vibration marks, like a bad router cut in wood. So, not ready to spring for a $70-plus BEALL system, I just picked up one buffer wheel and re-used my Dremel polishing compound:

[ATTACH]25522[/ATTACH]

The bigger wheel-radius did make a more uniform shine; I like it! I'll have to see about putting more buffing into my methods of work from now on:

[ATTACH]25521[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LN140withBling.jpg
LN140withBling.jpg (128.44 KiB) Viewed 25195 times
TryingBufferWheel.jpg
TryingBufferWheel.jpg (70.07 KiB) Viewed 25197 times
Chris
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Looks GOOD Chris.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
nuhobby
Platinum Member

How I salvage some wood knobs

Post by nuhobby »

As an aside, I have several times replaced cracked/missing portions of wood knobs and re-turned them. Here is shown a crude "sled" which lets me mount knobs upside-down. Then I run them under the Overarm Router, milling off the cracked parts of their bases.

This kind of milling operation lets me glue in some replacement wood that glues to 2 different faces (vertical and horizontal) for strength. Then I can later remove excess wood and re-turn the parts for a "save."

[ATTACH]25594[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Rosewood knob milling.jpg
Rosewood knob milling.jpg (104.5 KiB) Viewed 25089 times
Chris
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Knob Salvaging Sequence

Post by nuhobby »

Continuing on....

It may seem like a lot of trouble, but on jobs like this, a concentric center-hole and counterbored holes for nuts are hard to pull off. So salvaging a knob is a little bit easier than making a new one.

After some hand-sawing, the strip sander takes off most of the excess "patch" wood:

[ATTACH]25649[/ATTACH]

Then it's round enough to work on the lathe; here I've added a brass tube inside this knob so I can treat it like a Pen blank on my pen-turning mandrel:

[ATTACH]25648[/ATTACH]

Finally, I get a repair-job done. This is a Stanley No. 98 side rabbet plane. It's the Roy-Underhill tool for the "Dusty"-type of job of increasing a dado-width by thousandths of inches at a time (anal work):

[ATTACH]25647[/ATTACH]
Attachments
98PlaneFixed.jpg
98PlaneFixed.jpg (128.89 KiB) Viewed 25017 times
ReTurningKnob.jpg
ReTurningKnob.jpg (111.37 KiB) Viewed 25016 times
StripSandExcess.jpg
StripSandExcess.jpg (86.43 KiB) Viewed 25021 times
Chris