I want a work light similar to the Shopsmith

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulrussell
Platinum Member

I want a work light similar to the Shopsmith

Post by paulrussell »

I like how the Shopsmith light has a mounting system, but it is a bit pricy (given my recent PowerPro upgrade, the funds are a bit tight at the moment) and I'd rather have a LED system.

Of course I could just bit the price bullet, and put a LED replacement lamp in the Shopsmith, but there are always a lot of creative ideas here so I figured I'd ask.
Last edited by paulrussell on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Re: I want a work light similar to the Shopsmith

Post by jsburger »

Just check eBay daily. They show up there fairly regularly.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Thanks for the tip!
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

The LED lamp that reible reviews in this post, Today in the shop (let there be more light)
is the way I will eventually go.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
chucks
Gold Member

Post by chucks »

I know that your question is about the shopsmith light, however I just replaced my T8 florescent's with some LED lights that look like the florescent's($32 on sale @ Costco). With these I no longer needed the individual lights.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

chucks wrote:I know that your question is about the shopsmith light, however I just replaced my T8 florescent's with some LED lights that look like the florescent's($32 on sale @ Costco). With these I no longer needed the individual lights.
Hmmm... What length bulbs? Is that $32 per bulb? I have T8's in the shop but I have eleven 8' fixtures with four bulbs each. That is 44 bulbs and that equates to $1400+ at $32 per bulb to upgrade. I don't think so. Besides, I can afford to pay my electric bill. I also have enough natural light due to large windows that I can actually work in the shop with the lights off.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I put twice the lighting I thought I'd need in my shop, spaced no farther than 5' apart. Still shadows get in the way for some things. I like the Lee Valley light RPD linked to. One less cord or hose to contend with, and super flexible aiming.
jimthej
Gold Member

Post by jimthej »

jsburger wrote:
chucks wrote:I know that your question is about the shopsmith light, however I just replaced my T8 florescent's with some LED lights that look like the florescent's($32 on sale @ Costco). With these I no longer needed the individual lights.
Hmmm... What length bulbs? Is that $32 per bulb? I have T8's in the shop but I have eleven 8' fixtures with four bulbs each. That is 44 bulbs and that equates to $1400+ at $32 per bulb to upgrade. I don't think so. Besides, I can afford to pay my electric bill. I also have enough natural light due to large windows that I can actually work in the shop with the lights off.
The costco lights come in their own fixture. I don't know if they are replaceable. I put one in the garage, and it is about 2-1/2 times as bright as the fluorescent shop light it replaced. My wife loves it.
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Free shipping over 40 bucks so I ordered the Lee Valley and two mounting plates. Thanks for the tip Ron (RPD) -- and by extension Ed (REIBLE)
chucks
Gold Member

Post by chucks »

jsburger wrote:

4 footers(2 per fixture) The LED tubes are not replaceable.(to my knowledge.)
I lov'em.