Can a 12" Planer w/o feed motor be converted to manual feed?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

br549
Platinum Member

Can a 12" Planer w/o feed motor be converted to manual feed?

Post by br549 »

Considering getting a used 12" planer, but the one I am looking at doesn't have the feed motor. (Variable speed switch is reportedly included but not presently attached.) In looking at Shopsmith Service Parts for the planer, don't see any mention of manual feed crank. Does anyone know if manual feed crank is still available, and if it can be added to a planer that did have a feed motor? Thanks.
Attachments
planer.jpg
planer.jpg (30.2 KiB) Viewed 22143 times
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Re: Can a 12" Planer w/o feed motor be converted to manual feed?

Post by ChrisNeilan »

I can't answer your question, but this is the opportunity to get that Co2 Laser printer you've always wanted and cut your own wooden gears! :)

On a serious note, how much is a feed motor?
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

New feed motor is $472 from Shopsmith, and new speed control is $362
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

ChrisNeilan wrote:On a serious note, how much is a feed motor?
Probably more than what he'd pay for the planer. :eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
ChrisNeilan
Platinum Member

Post by ChrisNeilan »

Yikes! :eek: :eek: :eek:
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

With infinite time and money anything is possible, but I would not recommend it.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

rcplaneguy wrote:With infinite time and money anything is possible, but I would not recommend it.
Could you explain why not? Not calling you out, just curious.

I have (briefly) run both and actually prefer the manual feed. Looking at the parts list (the manual feed handle is not shown) you could use the shaft of the motor (or duplicate it) and the gear the motor drives and seemingly quite easily convert the planer to manual.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

rjent wrote:
rcplaneguy wrote:With infinite time and money anything is possible, but I would not recommend it.
Could you explain why not? Not calling you out, just curious.

I have (briefly) run both and actually prefer the manual feed. Looking at the parts list (the manual feed handle is not shown) you could use the shaft of the motor (or duplicate it) and the gear the motor drives and seemingly quite easily convert the planer to manual.
With the DeWalt 12.5" dw734 often $375 new with disposable and reversible knives, and a 3 yr warranty, that is the direction I would go. Or, spend lots of time and $ on a used device that is untested. Is this one that is a SPT, with sheet metal table, depending on the ShopSmith headstock for power? If so, is it worth the effort? I don't see any dust collection on it. Mine is a ProPlaner separate with cast iron table.
cadman57
Gold Member

Post by cadman57 »

The answer to your question is yes - that setup can be made to be manual. I have had both and with a little investigation can come up with the gentlemans name that purchased the manual feed planer from me. I am sure he would be happy to help with dimensions / photos / etc.

I can tell you that the plate covering the two gears showing in your photo is the same bolt-on pattern as the plate holding the DC feed motor. I also sold a motorized unit at one time and removed that so as to be safer for shipping. I noted the similarity - if you have that plate all you need is a matching gear and hand crank. That is exactly how the older manual unit is setup.

I will look for the contact info - feel free to phone me if you would like to try this route .............. also, the base of this unit is one piece solid cast aluminum with the topside polished. Per the photo, this unit has the upgraded one piece handle instead of the older "wheel with short handle" and that is a big plus - not only easier to work with the better leverage, but in your case it could easily double as the manual hand crank because I am pretty sure that is what shopsmith used.

I have a proplaner model on its own stand with castors in the garage and just went out to check the table base - the other gentleman is correct also about the pro model being cast steel. I had not noticed that and had just assumed it was the aluminum however just got it when weather turned cold so have not used it to the point of looking closely. I would have no hesitation at all to go with the aluminum cast polished unit attached to the shopsmith headstock if you are just planing material every now and then. It is a wonderful planer and having the one piece frame is leaps and bounds better than any of the bench models with two piece / snipe causing cuts IMHO I have run both and find this to be true. You did not mention the cost, but having had and sold two machine mounted with DC feed at $550 - $650 and also having had and sold two crank mounted for around $375 - $400 I would think this unit with the issues involved should not be priced over $225 - $250 ............ assuming the rollers are good. Dust collection assembly can be simply added for about $40 (#300001) and is easy to install. The dust chute exits where the topside shopsmith logo is.

Offer $200 or so and do some work and mark it a bargain !!!!!

I am also betting you can purchase the gear that is on the end of the feed motor ........ everything else can be figured out. I do CAD design work for local tool and die companies (Omaha) in my spare time so if there is anything I could help with I would be happy to do so. I have that same height crank on my proplaner and am curious about what could fit it as far as shaft for the gear ......... do you have the outer plate ??

Dave (402) 517-0759
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The pinion gear is the same so it should be obtainable. The rest is going to require some ingenuity. The cover mounts the same, but I believe the 'hole'/bearing is different. A shaft should be relatively simple. Any crank will do.

IIRC, these parts were on e-bay a while back. I do not remember if they sold.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange