Can a 12" Planer w/o feed motor be converted to manual feed?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Can a 12" Planer w/o feed motor be converted to manual feed?

Post by JPG »

10 min tops to reassemble!(closer to 5) :)

Took longer to post with the new forum software than disassembly and pix taking.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Another favor of the community please ... does anyone have a Parts List and Exploded Parts Diagram for a manual feed planer? In the process of adding the feed pinion to my cart to buy, other "suggested" parts appeared which look to be some of which I need, but I'm not 100% sure, as Shopsmith only shows me a Part Number and a price, but no picture. I have sent my question to Shopsmith CS for verification, but while waiting for a response perhaps someone else could help. Attached is one of the photos which JPG took and posted, to which I have added clouds and PRESUMED part numbers. If I really can get these thru Shopsmith, that much less to have to invent or improvise!
Attachments
EXPLODED with clouds.jpg
EXPLODED with clouds.jpg (187.77 KiB) Viewed 15824 times
admin
Gold Member

Post by admin »

manual_feed_planer.jpg
manual_feed_planer.jpg (60.66 KiB) Viewed 15820 times
Here is a scan from an old manual. Verification of items with customer service is recommended, since changes can be made to parts over time.
Shopsmith I.T.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Admin has provided the original part #.(kudos for that!).

I really think a 3/8" straight shaft will be easier than the stepped shaft. The shaft can be stepped up with bushings where required. Since you will be making the cover bushing, it can be 3/8" to fit the shaft. The pinion gear will fit the 3/8" shaft. A different way to key it to the gear would be needed.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

Time for an update. I ordered what parts I could, along with a few other missing necessities like Owner's Manual, knife setting gauge, power coupler, etc. Thanks to Admin for posting the parts diagram. Not having to make the shaft or pinion gear was a real time saver, and the cost was surprising low for these parts. For the cover and bushing, I bolted a 1/8" thick piece of steel to the inside of the cover and drilled a hole matching the OD of bushings, which I had salvaged from my old garage door opener. One bushing had to be shortened slightly, but it had the necessary "shoulder" to butt up against the steel plate. Made another 1/8" thick steel filler with OD to fit inside of the hole in the cover and with an ID matching OD of bushing. Initially thought and tried assembling all the parts "dry", but fit was too loose and too much wobble in crank handle. Used JB Weld to attach bushings to each other and to steel plate. Used 1/2" bolt with Scotch tape around un-threaded portion of bolt to align all of the parts until the JB Weld had set up enough to allow bolt removal. Made crank handle and clamp brackets out of some very dense SYP. (Clamp bracket from Speed Reducer used as template.) Carriage bolt with slot cut in head for screwdriver, filed off square portion under head used to attach wood handle, and a few washers to control amount head was recessed. Lock nut keeps carriage bolt from trying to unthread as crank is turned. Have checked knife alignment and adjusted table height mechanism, so almost ready to try planing!
Attachments
Cover with steel plate bolted on
Cover with steel plate bolted on
P4041271a.jpg (281.46 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
Cover and bushings
Cover and bushings
P4041275a.jpg (257.25 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
Bushings and Pinion Gear
Bushings and Pinion Gear
P4041278a.jpg (276.54 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
As "dry fitted" - too loose and too much play
As "dry fitted" - too loose and too much play
P4021259a.jpg (182.93 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
JB Weld to the rescue
JB Weld to the rescue
P4051281a.jpg (258.56 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
Final assembly, with different retaining clip
Final assembly, with different retaining clip
P4061294a.jpg (217.36 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
Wood crank handle and carriage bolt
Wood crank handle and carriage bolt
P4021262a.jpg (186.03 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
Lock nut to keep bolt from un-threading when crank turned
Lock nut to keep bolt from un-threading when crank turned
P4061296a.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
Wooden clamp brackets
Wooden clamp brackets
P4051286a.jpg (219.35 KiB) Viewed 15750 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I certainly hope that it works as well as it looks. You have done a fantastic job.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I totally agree with Dusty!!!

I am surprised the shaft was still 'available'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

burnt
Silver Member

Post by burnt »

Has anyone found any good guidance on what to do about the feed motor if running the powerpro off 220V? I'm planning to switch over to get that extra 1/4hp, but it seems like this would be a problem when it comes to the feed motor. I guess I could just plug the feed motor into a 110V outlet, but I've been waffling on whether to keep the planer or just sell it.

Good thing manual feed is dual-voltage. ;)
Mark 7 upgrade, 510, 3 500s, mount planer, scroll saw, 3 grey jigsaws (1 w/stand), 5 jointers (1 w/stand),3 bandsaws (2 al., 1 iron), power station, pro fence router table, 3 DC3300s

DeWalt radial arm saws: '56 GWI 10" 1.5hp, '47 GP 12" 2hp, '53 GA 14" 3hp, '47 GP 12" 2hp,

Other faves: '35 Walker Turner drill press, Craftsman (Belsaw) 12" planer/molder, Grizzly G0453Z 15" helical planer, Grizzly G0490X 8" helical jointer, Oneida SMART 3hp dust collector
burnt
Silver Member

Post by burnt »

No one's going to touch on that one, it seems. I can't seem to find an answer in powerpro documentation, so I might try calling CS to ask for directions for once.
Mark 7 upgrade, 510, 3 500s, mount planer, scroll saw, 3 grey jigsaws (1 w/stand), 5 jointers (1 w/stand),3 bandsaws (2 al., 1 iron), power station, pro fence router table, 3 DC3300s

DeWalt radial arm saws: '56 GWI 10" 1.5hp, '47 GP 12" 2hp, '53 GA 14" 3hp, '47 GP 12" 2hp,

Other faves: '35 Walker Turner drill press, Craftsman (Belsaw) 12" planer/molder, Grizzly G0453Z 15" helical planer, Grizzly G0490X 8" helical jointer, Oneida SMART 3hp dust collector
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dusty wrote:I certainly hope that it works as well as it looks. You have done a fantastic job.
I went back and reread this thread and I have to correct one of my previous comments. Fantastic is inadequate. You have done an unbelievably good job on this. Even the JB Weld application looks professional.

Now, the other big question. How does it work?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.