Duplicating turned legs without a duplicator

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Re: Duplicating turned legs without a duplicator

Post by beeg »

Just a thought here. How about routing a groove at the template so that the chips would fall through the hole. That way the chips woodn't build up.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Very well done. The jig is amazing as are the results! I use one that involves a router and have never been satisfied with results. I think I will give your concept a try. I have also toyed with the idea of buying the duplicator but it always seemed a large expense for the few times I have needed it. Thanks for all the info and photos.
Paul
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

Very cool!
Non-cupped carbide cutters when applied flat (scraper) can give a rough finish, but cupped versions can give amazing results, especially when tilted (skew).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_PHDBLi-tA[/youtube]
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

That is one fancy toothpick!
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

rcplaneguy wrote:Very cool!
Non-cupped carbide cutters when applied flat (scraper) can give a rough finish, but cupped versions can give amazing results, especially when tilted (skew).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_PHDBLi-tA[/youtube]
I watched the video and he did an amazing job with those tools. I think the problem in my application is that I can't tilt the cutter to get that shearing cut. I would have to use it like a scraper and would probably get results similar to what I got.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Post by masonsailor2 »

Does the SS duplicator allow you to change the angle of the cutter ?
Paul
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

masonsailor2 wrote:Does the SS duplicator allow you to change the angle of the cutter ?
Paul
I think you could change the angle of the cutter but not the follower.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

An unexpected benefit to this project is that it turned profitable!!

There is a shop in my nearby town that makes and sells farm tables and other rustic furniture. To this point they have used square legs as they have no turning ability. I showed them the legs that I turned and received an immediate order for two sets. Once I delivered them, she ordered another set and one of her business associates ordered two more sets. As soon as she sells these tables she says she will order more.

This is working out well EXCEPT that she wanted legs that were 5" square. My problem is that my Shopsmith jointer only goes to 4". I had to come up with a different way to dress my lumber so I could make the blanks.

I managed to do this on my V-drum sander to flatten one side of a 2x6, jointed one edge and then used the Shopsmith Pro-Planer to take care of the other side. I was then able to glue up blanks and proceed with turning.
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG (341.26 KiB) Viewed 21510 times
forrestb
Platinum Member

Post by forrestb »

But you can flattening boards wider than the SS jointer 4 inches.

I posted recently on how it is done. I flattened an 8 inch wide board by first jointing on the 4 inch jointer.

Watch the video at http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 20#p186020

Forrest

PS not sure how to insert a Forum post??
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

forrestb wrote:But you can flattening boards wider than the SS jointer 4 inches.

I posted recently on how it is done. I flattened an 8 inch wide board by first jointing on the 4 inch jointer.

Watch the video at http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 20#p186020

Forrest

PS not sure how to insert a Forum post??

I did try that but I didn't like the results I was getting. Must have been doing something wrong and will have to try again. The ridge I was getting was too pronounced and was not even end to end. I should have probably taken smaller cuts and that might have done it.

Thanks for the post.