Duplicating turned legs without a duplicator

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

forrestb
Platinum Member

Re: Duplicating turned legs without a duplicator

Post by forrestb »

Most definitely use a light cut. My jointer was set for 1/32 cut. It is tedious taking light cuts, but I think you have to.

You may not have a 'ridge' from end to end you only need a 'flat' section with the ridge that allows the planer to work the far side. Ideally, the 'flat' would extend to at least 2 inches from each end (cutter to roller distance where snipe can occur anyway).

Be sure to have the convex side down on the jointer. I know that is contrary to normal jointing but in this case you are not really jointing, you are flattening. The light cuts on the planer will get rid of the concave ends.

Forrest
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Since you have a planer, all you need is to knock off the high spots(hand plane will do), then thickness plane the opposite face. When that face is flat, flip it over and flatten the first face(to thickness).

Not perfect, but if it passes through the planer without 'rocking' it should do.

Then there is the hot melt glue to plywood/mdf procedure.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

JPG wrote:Since you have a planer, all you need is to knock off the high spots(hand plane will do), then thickness plane the opposite face. When that face is flat, flip it over and flatten the first face(to thickness).

Not perfect, but if it passes through the planer without 'rocking' it should do.

Then there is the hot melt glue to plywood/mdf procedure.
I thought about that and it will work because I've done it before but the problem is effort and time. The last picture I posted was for 20 legs and each leg is made from 4 pieces of 2X6. That makes 80 pieces to be flattened, squared, and planed to thickness.

I've already sold enough to pay for a bigger jointer and if I continue to sell them, I have to get faster and more efficient. I'm keeping a watch on Craig's list now for a good deal and actually have a "maybe" in the works.

In the meantime, I'll try some of the suggestions and decide which works best for me.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thought of using 6x6s?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tdubnik
Platinum Member

Post by tdubnik »

JPG wrote:Thought of using 6x6s?
The only ones I've found around here are all pressure treated and would probably be pretty expensive. To make a leg I need one 10' 2x6 which costs about $7 plus change around here.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

Why not build a planer sled. They are designed to do exactly what you need. Just Google planer sled. There are tons of designs out there. Look for a design that is easily adjustable for individual boards. Some designs lend themselves to not being very efficient when a large number of pieces need to be done at one time.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jackloganbill
Bronze Member

Post by jackloganbill »

Nice work!
gkgolke
Bronze Member

Post by gkgolke »

Well I am in the process to build my Owen duplicate like yours.
I started with experimenting different cutters and shapes.
I do have the same cutter like yours, bud the cutting finish I did not like.
I grinded the carbide to different configuration. At the end, the carbide tip should be pointed upwards .that’s means to grind the back of the tip down. It’s more difficult with the round tip
In the end the cutting was excellent. You will need a carbide grinding wheel.
A dremel diamant grinding disk may work also .
This was a whole day experimenting.
Now I will be building the rest like your design.
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Nice job , too bad you cant find a local mill that sells kiln dried lumber , usually if you by enough they will cut ya a deal ?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)