Looking for used 520

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joelr

Looking for used 520

Post by joelr »

I am looking to buy a used 520, I live in NJ.
I understand that a checklist of what to look for in a used Shopsmith is available but I am unable to locate it via Internet search - does anybody there know where such a list is available and where I can get a copy??

Thanks

Joel
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

I have never seen a used 520, most people start with a 500 or 510 and then purchase the Shopsmith upgrade. The information you are looking for is by Nick and is under the Shopsmith Academy.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
alancooke
Gold Member

Post by alancooke »

joelr wrote:I am looking to buy a used 520, I live in NJ.
I understand that a checklist of what to look for in a used Shopsmith is available but I am unable to locate it via Internet search - does anybody there know where such a list is available and where I can get a copy??

Thanks

Joel
Hey Joel,

Nick posted the checklist you're looking for in Sawdust Session #21. It's available from the blackboard section in the upper right hand corner. I've attempted to post the link below. I say attempted because it's my first time trying to copy and post a link:)

Good Luck in your search and welcome to the forum!

Scroll down to the bottom of the blackboard for the link to the checklist.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt1.htm
Alan

'Baking The World A Better Place' :)
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

Used 520's do come up from time to time on Ebay. You just have to hope that you are close (for pick up) or that the seller ships.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Joel,

If you are looking at the used 520 located in New Jersey currently listed on ebay, From the listing I would think it is a nice one. I have a 520 and wouldn't trade it. When I participated in a traveling academy two years ago one of the machines being used was a 510. I tried to use it and found it wanting. I couldn't wait to get home to my far superior 520. The table and extensions on the 520 are far superior, Good Luck. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
Bruce
Platinum Member

Post by Bruce »

Check estate sale listings. I would imagine they'll turn up now and then. In this day and age, it seems when old woodworkers die, often there isn't an heir that would know what to do with the Shopsmith. Too bad.
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Re: Looking for used 520

Post by everettdavis »

Thanks

Joel
Try http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690 It has the revised checklist and links to the original checklist in the Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited PDF, with some other bits and pieces that may help.

My 520 is a 50th Anniversary edition and still looks like new. Good luck and I hope you find one with some SPT's to sweeten the deal.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

everettdavis wrote:

Thanks

Joel
Try http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... 90#p185690 It has the revised checklist and links to the original checklist in the Buying a Used Shopsmith Revisited PDF, with some other bits and pieces that may help.

My 520 is a 50th Anniversary edition and still looks like new. Good luck and I hope you find one with some SPT's to sweeten the deal.
Ya think 'JOELR' has a time machine? :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
everettdavis
Platinum Member

Post by everettdavis »

JPG wrote:
everettdavis wrote:

Thanks

Joel

Ya think 'JOELR' has a time machine? :D
Wow.... all my Forum links are coming up date scrambled... No clue why that came up first in the thread and I answered it. After reading your post, I rebooted and the next Forum Maintenance and Repair session and had the same thing, 2009 then a 2014, a 2015 then a 2012.

I used another machine (NOT a Time Machine) and they are as usual. Nothing has been changed in my preferences. That's just crazy...

LOL ... found a large towel to wipe the egg off my face. Thanks for the reality check JPG. :eek: