Used Pro Planer questions

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Used Pro Planer questions

Post by JPG »

So, faster for larger motors driving the cutters. Makes sense. Wonder if there are actually two different 'lamp dimmer controls'. :D Wonder which I purchased recently????

There were two versions of the 'pro planer'. IIRC, 1 1/2 hp and 1`3/4 hp with different pulleys so the larger motor drove the cutters faster.(5750 vs 3450)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Did a bit of 'research'. The control has the same part #. The motors are different.

The motor I recently purchased has a 29:1 gear head. That ratio is on the SS sticker.

What other ratio is there?????? I think that would answer my ? above.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:So, faster for larger motors driving the cutters. Makes sense. Wonder if there are actually two different 'lamp dimmer controls'. :D Wonder which I purchased recently????

There were two versions of the 'pro planer'. IIRC, 1 1/2 hp and 1`3/4 hp with different pulleys so the larger motor drove the cutters faster.(5750 vs 3450)
Any idea when it had a 1 1/2HP motor? I bought my Pro Planer somewhere around 2001 and as I remember they had not been around very long at that time (5 years or so?). Mine has a 1 3/4HP motor.

Remember, as stated above the power stand for the SS mounted planer does have a 1 1/2HP motor. A lot of people confuse that with a Pro Planer but it is not.

Sorry for the less than stellar image but it is hard to take standing on ones head. :)
Attachments
IMAG0188.jpg
IMAG0188.jpg (132.28 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Did a bit of 'research'. The control has the same part #. The motors are different.

The motor I recently purchased has a 29:1 gear head. That ratio is on the SS sticker.

What other ratio is there?????? I think that would answer my ? above.
Was the motor you bought for a SS mounted planer? Since the feed rates are different between the SS mounted planer and the pro planer can one assume that the actual motors are the same and the gear heads are different?

The gear ratio on my pro planer is 18.48:1. Actually, I think the motors themselves have changed over the years. At least I have seen different labels. If the different motors were not all the same RPM then there would be more than two gear ratios.
Attachments
IMAG0187.jpg
IMAG0187.jpg (112.01 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Well that nails it down!(at least two versions)

Yours is 3300/18.48:1.(7-20 fpm)

Mine is 3300/29:1.(5-12 fpm)
planer feed motor.jpg
planer feed motor.jpg (677.94 KiB) Viewed 2702 times
Notice the rated voltage difference.(90 vs 115)

I believe yours is pro planer version.

I conclude mine is ss mount(I know nothing of it's history/lineage since it was an E-bay purchase).

Thanks for responding!!!!
Last edited by JPG on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Well that nails it down!(at least two versions)

I conclude mine is ss mount(I know nothing of it's history/lineage since it was an E-bay purchase).

Yes, mine is on my pro planer.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Well that nails it down!(at least two versions)

planer feed motor.jpg
Notice the rated voltage difference.(90 vs 115)

Yes I have noticed the voltage difference before. As one would expect the model numbers are different. They are the same except for one letter. Yours is AA and mine is AD.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
cadman57
Gold Member

Post by cadman57 »

All comments are valid and I completely agree with the lunch-box planer versus the one piece 20"+ length bed of the shopsmith units being leaps and bounds better.

The ONLY issue I have really heard concerning the shopsmith planers is that it would have been nice if they had gone to 13" wide instead of 12" even.

With that being said, I have had both styles and they are wonderful. I used a mark V style for a couple years on a very regular basis and really liked it compared to the bench top Ryobi unit I had before. Then, I found a mint condition Pro planer for what I considered to be a very fair price - mounted with the castor setup plus brand new set of blades with original manual for $625.00 I have used it extensively - including oak & walnut and absolutely love it.

If anyone in the group is looking for planer items, I have two things for sale. First item is complete excellent condition pro planer with castors that am asking $550.00 for & would even ship it (two boxes) thru the most economical carrier for actual shipping cost. We have very large Baldor motors shipped to us at work and I have free access to the heavy boxes and also packing material. Total cost would be a fraction of new cost and the equipment is "like new" including original manual.

If you would like to have a full time stand-alone setup for YOUR mark V mounted planer I have the 5/8" shaft key and pulley, the 1-3/4 HP Emerson motor with pulley, like new serpentine belt, belt guard, and stand (no castors) with ALL items in like new condition. This is a complete pro-planer system ........... but, without the planer. Your mark V unit will easily fit right in place and be ready to go. Asking $150.00 plus actual shipping cost - stand would be disassembled for more economical shipping.

If interested in either of these quality shopsmith planer items, feel free to contact me at dfort57@yahoo.com All equipment is in fantastic condition.
cadman57
Gold Member

Post by cadman57 »

The pro planer stand with motor, pulley's, etc. has been sold - still have the complete pro planer with dust chute / 1-3/4 HP motor / optional castors on stand. Everything in absolutely excellent condition - its ready to plug in and go to work. Send me an email and I will send you detailed photos. Asking $550.00 plus actual shipping cost
email dfort57@yahoo.com