Drill press mode problem

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

edski
Silver Member

Drill press mode problem

Post by edski »

When I use my 1992 Mark V model 500 in the drill press mode, I notice a considerable amount of chatter. The larger the bit, the more the chatter. The quill bearings are fine. However, I noticed a considerable amount of play between the quill housing and the headstock housing. Is there an easy and inexpensive way eliminate this play?
Edski
Plymouth, MA
1992 Shopsmith 500 (My third one. :D )
Other brands: table saw, jointer, drill press, lathe, bandsaw, belt sander 2 scroll saws and dust collector
billmayo
Platinum Member

Drill press mode problem

Post by billmayo »

I tighten the Quill Lock Handle to the point where the quill will retract slowly when released or until the chatter stops and you can still move the quill. I would only do this when you are drilling and have chatter.
edski wrote:When I use my 1992 Mark V model 500 in the drill press mode, I notice a considerable amount of chatter. The larger the bit, the more the chatter. The quill bearings are fine. However, I noticed a considerable amount of play between the quill housing and the headstock housing. Is there an easy and inexpensive way eliminate this play?
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)