need help with my shopsmith rebuild

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Hi this my first post on this forum. I bought my SS 500 new in 1981. About six years ago I had to put it and the rest of my tools in a storage shed when we moved into a townhouse. Anyway, even though it was covered with a tarp it still got rusty from a leaky roof an the high humidity here in Florida. I am just getting my new shop put together so I do not have all the wiring done yet. The other day I plugged it in and it started right up, I only let it run for a few seconds a couple of hours later when I tried it again I just got a hum. I will let that go for now until I get a line in just for the SS. My problem now is the carriage will not move on the rails. The headstock is fine after few sprays of WD-40 but the carriage will not move, the lock wedges are free. I put it in the drill press position and sprayed everything with several different products it will not move even with using a jack. Tech support was no help except to tell me that they do not have a replacement carriage. The rails are metal and the carriage is aluminum cast they should not fuse together. Any ideas?
Eric, Sebring Fl.
james.miller
Gold Member

Post by james.miller »

Dissimilar metals will corrode with the humidity. You may get lucky and have a penetrating oil loosen it up. Heat will work but will probably warp things.

You may find replacement parts on eBay.
Jim in Tucson
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

You were doing the right thing. Get that puppy back in the drill press mode. Lub the lubs where they enter into the carriage with penetrating oil. Apply some with the jack but be careful.

See the photos. You want something between the jack and the carriage so that the localized pressure doesn't crack the carriage.

[ATTACH]1784[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1785[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1786[/ATTACH]
Attachments
P7140001.JPG
P7140001.JPG (162.49 KiB) Viewed 32559 times
P7140002.JPG
P7140002.JPG (154.67 KiB) Viewed 32557 times
P7140003.JPG
P7140003.JPG (154.34 KiB) Viewed 32554 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

Dusty,
I am curious as to why the underside of your carriage is so incredibly clean?
ldh
shydragon
Gold Member

Post by shydragon »

You'll notice there is a little sawdust on top and at the bottom. Dusty, blew it off before taking the pictures.
Pat

Oregon

1992 SS 510, 11" Bandsaw on power station, 4" jointer, Pro Planer, Incra Miter 2000, Incra Ultimate Fence Router Pkg, Grizzly 6" Parallelogram Jointer.
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

I really think that is fake sawdust in the photo just to make us think he had been working.
ldh
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

You may find the following Sawdust Session helpful: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... emoval.htm.

With all good wishes,
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Thanks , for all of your suggestions. I was able to get the carriage moved this morning. I used a 8" long 2x2 and a mallet tapping on the carriage just above the rails in each direction until I finely got some movement. than cleaned the rails up and waxed them. Over the next few days I will put in the new 20amp line for SS. We have a small horse ranch that we bought a couple of years ago and 10 horses that keep us busy. I have most of the ranch set up now so I can spend more time on the shop, it is a 14'X30' prefab.
Eric, Sebring Fl.
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Afternoon update; I put the 20 amp line in for the SS using #10 wire to a ceiling box and then a 4' #10 drop cord. It starts good in every speed range, but runs noise in the low range. Any suggestions as to what may be causing that? Thanks again for your previous help.
Eric, Sebring Fl.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I'll tell you what it isn't! It sounds like you have the power situation well in hand.

For what is causing the noise, my guess is a belt that has been sitting for years without turning an under pressure from the motor sheaves. It probably has developed an area that has flattened enough to give that noise or vibration at low speed. As you increase the speed and the belt moves further out on the motor sheaves there is a bigger belt area that touches the sheaves, thus dampening the effect.

Sounds to me that a new drive belt is in order. I just put a new one in mine and the difference in noise was astonishing. Might as well get a new poly V belt too as long as you are bringing this lovely machine back to life.

Good Luck!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA