Will MkV Bandsaw fit 10ER?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rudd
Bronze Member

Post by rudd »

Hi, I'm new here, hope this is the right place to ask. I have occasional need for a bandsaw, Dad's old 10ER, and not alot of spare room. Will the MkV bandsaw attachment work with the 10ER without alot of gymnastics? The 10ER has a splined shaft on the L/H end of the headstock. Don't know if there is a difference in way tube location.

Never laid eyes on a MkV or a bandsaw attachment. I'd also want to be able to slow the bandsaw down enough to use for cutting ferrous metal.

I have a small metal shop (i.e, lathe/mill/arbor press/welder etc. ), so minor metal working to make this happen is OK.

Thanks

Rudd
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

According to mySS catolag. The current bandsaw DOES NOT fit the ER or the M2.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

NO, the Mark V SPTs do not fit the 10ER. There is an Ebay seller that sells a special adapter and 3-step pulley with an intregrated hub that will work. The 10ER had these items but you seldom find them. You will still have a problem with getting the slower speed needed for metal cutting even with these items. I was able to cut thin aluminum without any problems but not much else. I have seen intermediate shafts and pulleys used to slow the speed down for the Mark V bandsaw so you can cut metal but it would be a make your own type task.

I finally gave up and brought a used HF metal cutting bandsaw for cutting the way and bench tubes plus other metals. The blades were only $10 each for cutting different metals. This is so much better as you start the bandsaw and it stops once the cutting is done. I am amazed at all the different uses I have found for the HF bandsaw. It will cut in the normally horizontal position and can be used in the upright position for free hand work.
rudd wrote:Hi, I'm new here, hope this is the right place to ask. I have occasional need for a bandsaw, Dad's old 10ER, and not alot of spare room. Will the MkV bandsaw attachment work with the 10ER without alot of gymnastics? The 10ER has a splined shaft on the L/H end of the headstock. Don't know if there is a difference in way tube location.

Never laid eyes on a MkV or a bandsaw attachment. I'd also want to be able to slow the bandsaw down enough to use for cutting ferrous metal.

I have a small metal shop (i.e, lathe/mill/arbor press/welder etc. ), so minor metal working to make this happen is OK.

Thanks

Rudd
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)