Speed Changer/control

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wallyp
Bronze Member

Speed Changer/control

Post by wallyp »

Hi SSers
Though I've had my Mark V since 1954, I have just recently discovered this great informative forum while searching the internet for information relating to the speed changer/control.
In the process I have learned that an access hole would be very helpful and is present on the newer models. Has anybody 'made' an access hole on one of the older Mark V moldels? I would be very thankful for any suggestions.
Also, after reading many of the posts, it's readily apparent that the speed
changer, associated pulleys, belts and sheaves are a major maintenance
problem. I'm sure that some the many thoughtful thinking heads on this forum has considered an electronic speed control. I'm wondering what problems they ran into or is imposible to adapt the Mark V motor with such a control?
Thankful newcomer---wallyp
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Yes, Bill Mayo makes such an access hole in the ones that he works on. He talks about it in several threads. You can search through his posts by visiting his public profile.
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/member.htm?u=1010
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

wallyp wrote:Hi SSers
Though I've had my Mark V since 1954, I have just recently discovered this great informative forum while searching the internet for information relating to the speed changer/control.
In the process I have learned that an access hole would be very helpful and is present on the newer models. Has anybody 'made' an access hole on one of the older Mark V moldels? I would be very thankful for any suggestions.
Also, after reading many of the posts, it's readily apparent that the speed
changer, associated pulleys, belts and sheaves are a major maintenance
problem. I'm sure that some the many thoughtful thinking heads on this forum has considered an electronic speed control. I'm wondering what problems they ran into or is imposible to adapt the Mark V motor with such a control?
Thankful newcomer---wallyp
Hi Wally! Welcome to the Forum~ I'm sure you will get all of your questions answered here. At least try!

Tim has directed you to Bill Mayo's posts~ that should answer your question about the access hole. If not~ there will likely be additional replies, or you can ask again.

I'd like to address your thoughts about the speed control. I think the thoughts are - to re-make the SS with an electronic speed control would be very cost prohibitive. And it has been observed that ESC's are somewhat prone to break downs. The SS system of variable opening sheaves has been pretty trouble free. However there is some simple maintenance needed. Just a little lubrication every 10 hours of running. By now you have probably figured out how the speed changes while the motor alway runs at a constant speed. If not~ask and we will direct you to this info.

Again - Welcome to the Forum!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

Wally,

This thread contains Bill Mayo's comments regarding drilling the acess hole.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2014

Sincerely,

Ron