newbie: disassembly?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

synapsmith
Bronze Member

Post by synapsmith »

Hi there -- total newbie here. I am about to pick up a used SS and I need confirmation that it can be easily disassembled. What issues should i be careful of? Seller tells me it's 6' long x 4' tall. My truck will take the length, but not the height (standing up or laying ~flat). Is it a big deal to disassemble or am I better just to rent a van to move it?
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Welcome to the Forum! Good luck with your new machine! Position during moving depends on how far you have to travel. The legs come off easily with a screwdriver and pliers. Legs off will lower the center of gravity to about 6-8 inches. I'd put the legs in the cab to prevent them from blowing away.

You should be advised to get some lifting help as it weighs in at about 200lbs/
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Yes, the legs come off very easily.

I would also suggest that you remove all of the tables, fences, etc. and handle them separately.

I would also move the headstock to one end of the tubes and the carriage to the other just to distribute the weight. Lock all of the locks; there are five.

Tie it in good so that it doesn't slide or roll over. You don't need to create issues to repair.Good luck on the move.

Good luck on your trip.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
synapsmith
Bronze Member

Post by synapsmith »

Thanks guys. I should have been more clear -- it's an SUV (not a pickup) so I'm hoping securing should be easier, I hope.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked :D
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

If it hasn't been used in awhile. Clean it up, and lube it, BEFORE you turn it on and don't move the speed changer unless it is turned on.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Before you turn it on. Clean and lube it up. Also only change the speed dial after it's running.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob