Bandsaw wheel alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

doublet
Bronze Member

Bandsaw wheel alignment

Post by doublet »

I inherited a Mark V 510R with the bandsaw attachment a few years ago. I have just started using the bs regularly and cleaned and aligned it last night. The books I've read about bs mention that the wheels should be "coplaner". The wheels on my bs are not aligned. The top wheel sits about 3/8" back from the lower wheel. Is this correct? The owners' manual says nothing about wheel alignment. How can the wheels be aligned, if necessary?

I don't see any reference to a 510R on the shopsmith site. What is the difference between a 510 and a 510R?
Tom Torbett
dusty
Platinum Member

Bandsaw Wheel Alignment

Post by dusty »

Tom;

If you are looking in a 510 document for information on your bandsaw, I would not expect you to find it.

The bandsaw is a separate Special Purpose Tool (SPT) and there is a separate manual.

Check out these links. I think they might get you to the information you are seeking.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/bandsaw.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/itemfind.htm?item=841547

The details for the bandsaw used to be here online but I am unable to locate that info right now. If I do locate it, I'll post it here as a separate post.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
doublet
Bronze Member

Post by doublet »

Thanks Dusty,

I do have the seperate manual, I just don't see any reference to the wheels being on the same plane. Thanks for your help.
Tom Torbett
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

The Shopsmith band saw is the exception to the co-planar rule. The top wheel is tilted very slightly so the blade runs toward the back rim. The "tracking bearing" -- a feature that is not found on other bandsaws -- aligns the back of the blade so it runs just inside the back rim of the top wheel. Provided the band saw frame is in good shape, you should never have to worry about wheel alignment.

With all good wishes,
doublet
Bronze Member

Post by doublet »

Thank you Nick!:)
Tom Torbett
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

doublet wrote:...I don't see any reference to a 510R on the shopsmith site. What is the difference between a 510 and a 510R?
Hi doublet,

ImageYou got your first Q answered. As for the "R" after the 510: Do knot take this as gospel, but as I understand it, it was either one or the other of the following: 1) When SS sent out an upgrade, they included a sticker that an owner could apply to the upgraded Mark V. The sticker had the "R" which referred to the unit being upgraded; or 2) The headstock was rebuilt and the "R" designates that. There are posts on this forum somewhere discussing this.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

[quote="a1gutterman"]The sticker had the "R" which referred to the unit being upgraded]

Nice catch, Tim! :) I had completely missed Tom's question. (Not saying [Shh!] that I would have remembered the answer :o )
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA