Joiner dust chute

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Joiner dust chute

Post by beeg »

I noticed on the sawdust session #22, when Nick used the joiner. The chips came out the dust chute. Even when I have the dust collector hooked up to it, most come out the back. Any one have an idea as to why? I've already talked to the SS Techs.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

beeg wrote:I noticed on the sawdust session #22, when Nick used the joiner. The chips came out the dust chute. Even when I have the dust collector hooked up to it, most come out the back. Any one have an idea as to why? I've already talked the SS Techs.
Beeg
Out the back? Do you mean the side toward the headstock?
On mine most come out the dust chute but some does come out from directly under the jointer. Not sure where they got out but I know on clean up I usually have some chips packed in the infeed table height adjustment area. What I call the back of my jointer the side facing the headstock is sealed and I don't think I have ever noticed any dust or chips coming out there.
Ed
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Ed

MOST come out under the infeed table and hit the height adjustment knob. VERY little comes out of the dust chute.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

recomment you check the dust chute for a plug of some sorts. If not connected to the DC mine shoots chips several feet. Are you running the jointer at speed 'R'? Slower speeds may leave more chips in the jointer.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

beeg wrote:Ed

MOST come out under the infeed table and hit the height adjustment knob. VERY little comes out of the dust chute.
Chucks advice above is right on. I also would bet some dust is impacted in the jointer blocking it from going out the dust chute. After a large job where I used the jointer heavily I usually have dust impacted in round the that whole area. I would guess if left alone long enough it could finally block the normal exit. After a big use of the jointer I usually give it a really good cleaning.
Ed
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Yes I run it at the proper speed of "R". I just checked it and there's no chips or dust to speak of in any part of the joiner. I'm thinking I may be missing a part in it. Do either one of you have anything to channel the chips, to keep them from under the infeed table? When I look under the table, by the height adjusment knob. I can see the cutter head.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Joiner dust chute

Post by dusty »

I am not sure I have a good mental picture of how your dust chute is oriented.:confused:

My jointer expels the chips out under the outfeed table.

Beeg said "MOST come out under the infeed table and hit the height adjustment knob".

The depth of cut adjustment (height adjustment) knob is on the infeed table side of the chute and is not in the path of expelled chips.

Beeg also reports "When I look under the table, by the height adjusment knob. I can see the cutter head".

I can look up the chute and see cutter head but I'm no where near the depth of cut knob. As stated before, it's beneath the infeed table while the chute expels out from beneath the outfeed table going the opposite direction..

Is it possible to install the chute backward (turned 180 from how it is intended).

If this thread is not closed before I get done with my current project, I'll pull the jointer and look at that possibility.

I don't recall ever having the chute plug up BUT this is a condition that could be effected by what kind of wood one joints and how deep a cut one makes. I prefer two or three thin passes to one or two heavier cuts.

Check the exploded view of the jointer on page 62 of the following:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/MasterInside_4-28-08r2.pdf

Has the jointer always been equipped with this dust removal concept of has it been modified (revised) any time in the past?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

This question and discussion remind me of a similar prior thread. From that thread I learned an interesting lesson regarding use of my Jointer and dust collector. Previously I had hooked the hose from the Jointer to the only open port on the DC3300. From a wise person on the prior thread I learned that by attaching the hose to an open port on the DC3300 and leaving the opposing port 1/2 open, I increased the amount of dust and chips entering the DC3300 to a point where I now have almost no clean up around the Jointer. Why I have no idea, but it really worked wonders. The boss lady entered my shop while I was in the midst of a fairly large jointer run. When I shut the tool off she looked at me and the lack of mess and commented that I must have finally learned to use my dust collection system. Smiles all around that day Jim:)
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

My dust chute connection is under the outfeed table. As far as I know, the chute is installed correctly. I've been working with Red Oak for awhile and have the depth of cut set at one thirty second of an inch.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Joiner dust chute

Post by dusty »

In that case, every thing seems to be normal. I have nothing to offer as an explanation.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.