Crafter's Station Needs Rewiring

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am attempting to help recondition a Crafter's Station. The following is a sketch of the power distribution control relay; what each of the contacts on the control relay attach to.

What I am unable to figure is the relay switching scheme; i.e. where are the relay contacts, are they normally open or normally closed, which contacts are the relay solenoid, etc.

Any help that you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

This relay is no longer available as a service part from Shopsmith and I am attempting to devise
a replacement control relay.
Attachments
relay.gif
relay.gif (172 KiB) Viewed 30030 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Dusty, I asked Jim to look up the wiring diagram in the Engineering files. I'll post the drawing when he finds it.

With all good wishes,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Thanks Nick. This support is greatly appreciated. I'll be waiting.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
BigSky
Gold Member

Crafter's Station Rewiring

Post by BigSky »

dusty - how are you getting along with your rewire task. have you determined how to emulate the original relay?
MarkFive510
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

OK. So what is a crafters station?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Crafter's Station

Post by dusty »

It is a discontinued Shopsmith item. It is a 10" Table Saw, Band Saw, and Sanding Station. It can also be used like a Power Station for the Jointer, Belt Sander , Strip Sander and Scroll Saw..

Except for some hardware difference, required to facilitate the main table, it is a power station that is direction reversible.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/craftersstation.htm

Except for some safety issues, I am hard pressed to come up with a reason for why production was terminated.

No, maybe not too hard pressed. One might make the arguement that it could compete with the Mark V for sales. Some one who doesn't want to turn might be able to get by with a CS.

If I get this thing running, I'll use it more like a power station than anything else.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I am on my way to recovery. An individual from the other forum contacted me and asked why I didn't just order a replacement relay rather than rewire.

He gave me the part number of the original relay (which I didn't have) and the part is now on the way from the component manufacturer. I even got lucky and found it on sale; originally $17.63 on sale for $13.22.

I still don't understand exactly how the Crafter's Station motor direction is reversed but I'll figure it out.

This is one time when Shopsmith customer service has let me down. The Emerson motor documentation that they are willing to share is very limited and Emerson won't even talk about technical detail on the Shopsmith motor; it's identified as proprietary.

I'm about to begin a tear down of the defective motor. Once I do that, I'll know what does what.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Crafter's Station No Longer Needs Rewiring

Post by dusty »

The cable has been rebuilt, the replacement relay has arrived and the Crafter's Station has beed reassembled and aligned. Well, sorta. It has been realigned to the extent that you can do that wthout power.

I have now concluded that the original problem (before I got the machine) was probably a bad motor. I'll confirn that hopefully tomorrow. A motor repair facility, here in Tucson, has been recommended to me and I'm planning on that visit tomorrow.

I was tempted today to cannibalize the Power Station motor so that I could keep working but decided against that. The motor in the Power Station is a dropin replacement for the Crafter's Station motor.

Until I have a motor to install, I just have a pair of near twins sitting in my shop.

PS The rip fence and the upper saw guard belong on my Mark V. Those items didn't come with the Crafter's Station. Actually, the 520 rail syatem did not come with the CS either. The CS came with a 510 table system which will eventually be installed on the CS. I have no 510 fence, yet.
Attachments
P7270001.JPG
P7270001.JPG (157.04 KiB) Viewed 30026 times
P7270002.JPG
P7270002.JPG (161.92 KiB) Viewed 29996 times
P7270003.JPG
P7270003.JPG (153.57 KiB) Viewed 29988 times
P7270006.JPG
P7270006.JPG (144.86 KiB) Viewed 29993 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi dusty,

Thanks for the pictures. I went back to your earlier link to the SS FAQ page describing the Crafters Station. It says that it is a bandsaw, along with a table saw and a "snading system" (spelling error belongs to SS). How does the bandsaw work? Or do you use the std SS bandsaw SPT on it?

Do you plan on using it for a sanding station? I think that is what I wood do with it. Then I could avoid frequent changing of the Mark V. Have fun! :D

edit: For use as a sanding station, do you use SS SPT's or is the Crafters Station "self contained"? I realize that the drill press and lathe modes are not available on it, but if the SPT's ARE used on it, and you can use it as a "Complete Sanding System", I find it odd that there is no mention of using the jointer or planer on it. Can you shed any light?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Crafter's Station

Post by dusty »

Tim;

I too noticed that the description does not mention the other SPT. The CS Manual, however, contains procedures for installation and alignment of the Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Jointer - in addition to the Belt Sander and Band Saw.

I received an additional sanding disk (with velcro), lower saw guard, combination blade, 1/2" chuck & key, caster set and a saw guard that is not for the Shopsmith.

The band saw is a slightly newer unit than the one I have. This one has a dust collection port and it is actually quieter than my own even though it has the old style guide bearings and cool blocks. It was way out of alignment - everything that is adjustable.

You ask how I intend to use it. I really don't know for sure. When I decided to buy it, I saw it as a 2nd power station. Now that it is in the shop, I see it more as a table saw. It is normally equipped with a 3/4 horse motor. When I get the doctors report on the motor, if it can't be repaired - I'm thinking about putting a 1 horse or 1 1/4 horse on it.

Depth of cut is limited and it has no quill. No quill - can you imagine that. I've become so used to a quill.

I moved my jointer off the Power Station and mounted it on the Mark V today. I have my band saw on the original Power Station.

Actually, what has happened is I have abandoned my original reason for having a Shopsmith Mark V which was that I didn't have room for all of the various stand alones. Now that is almost what I have.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty