1955 Mark V

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

davepk13
Gold Member

1955 Mark V

Post by davepk13 »

I have purchased a 1955 Mark V in very good condition, but would like to do some maintenance on it. Can anyone give me some tips? Is it possible to get inside the (green) belt housing?

Thank you,

Dave
jbooher
Gold Member

Post by jbooher »

Nick at Shopsmith is doing a series on repairing a old shopsmith. Go to Sawdust sessions and check out the last two.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

jbooher wrote:Nick at Shopsmith is doing a series on repairing a old shopsmith. Go to Sawdust sessions and check out the last two.
Click here!
http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
billmayo
Platinum Member

1955 Mark V

Post by billmayo »

The Shopsmith, Nick is repairing/rebuilding, is a 1960s with the 1 1/8 HP motor and Poly-V drive.

The 1955 Mark V headstock has no access hole in the headstock, no oiling holes in the sheaves and has a Gilmer drive with a clutch that can be tested for slippage which should prevent tearing the teeth off the Gilmer belt if the quill stops suddenly. The motor is also a 3/4 HP motor. The Speed Control Dial has a different type of spring to prevent the speed control dial from vibrating and making noise. I cut an access hole in the headstock and drill oiling holes in the sheaves. I rebuild the clutch for 15-20 ft pds of torque before slipping. I have pictures of all the steps I do if anyone is interested.
jbooher wrote:Nick at Shopsmith is doing a series on repairing a old shopsmith. Go to Sawdust sessions and check out the last two.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

"I have pictures of all the steps I do if anyone is interested."

You have to ask? Bring it on LOL!!!!!
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

I'm interested as well Bill - Thanks for the offer! Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
davepk13
Gold Member

Post by davepk13 »

Thanks Bill, would love the information!

Dave
bigmoe
Gold Member

Interested

Post by bigmoe »

Bill I am also very interested in viewing your pictures of all the steps.
People like you are what keeps me returning to this website, thanks for sharing.:)

Moe
1955 Mark V ShopSmith greenie New to me :) Magna Band saw, Magna Jointer, Magna Jigsaw (Restoration in progress) Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System, Woodmaster Multi-tool (ShopSmith Clone)
When all else fails fallow directions.:)
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

interested

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Is you are sending some pictures out I would love a set also. Have almost too many SS and still learning how to tune and fix them up.
Still learning.
Thanks
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
dusty
Platinum Member

1955 Mark V

Post by dusty »

It looks as though it is time for a "mass mailing". I would also be very interested in seeing this photo series.:)
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.