Brought it home today. (w/Pictures)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kaba
Gold Member

Brought it home today. (w/Pictures)

Post by kaba »

I went to pick up the ShopSmith today. The next challenge was getting it into my loft workshop. In any case here are some pictures.

The whole outfit!

Band saw!

Dust Collector!

Closer view of the ShopSmith!

Lots of cleaning and painting to be done. I've about decided to send my headstock in for a refurb.

I've also got a guy coming to pick up my over sized Table Saw.

All-in-all a very good day!
bigmoe
Gold Member

Post by bigmoe »

Looks better than my 1955 Greenie, if you are mechanical inclined refurbishing the headstock isn't as bad as it looks. Nick one of the Shopsmith reps is doing a series on rebuilding a Shopsmith. Everyone here is real helpful if you run into problems.
1955 Mark V ShopSmith greenie New to me :) Magna Band saw, Magna Jointer, Magna Jigsaw (Restoration in progress) Barracuda Wood Lathe Key Chuck System, Woodmaster Multi-tool (ShopSmith Clone)
When all else fails fallow directions.:)
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Sign up for the SS email specials to save yourself some money during your refurb.

Just curious, did you use a spray gun to get your shop blue. Looks to be a thorough job.:)
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
kaba
Gold Member

Post by kaba »

eldyfig wrote:Sign up for the SS email specials to save yourself some money during your refurb.

Just curious, did you use a spray gun to get your shop blue. Looks to be a thorough job.:)
Yes, I used a cheap HVLP sprayer I bought from Harbor Freight. I've used it several times and for what was a $69 purchase it does a good job.

Sorry about the color. Two left over paints from another job in an attempt to brighten my shop a little. These old eyes need all of the help they can get!
carlray
Bronze Member

Post by carlray »

kaba wrote:I went to pick up the ShopSmith today. The next challenge was getting it into my loft workshop. In any case here are some pictures.

Lots of cleaning and painting to be done. I've about decided to send my headstock in for a refurb.

I've also got a guy coming to pick up my over sized Table Saw.

All-in-all a very good day!
Doesn't look too bad and with a little tender care it will come to life again.

Had to laugh when you said someone was coming to pick up your oversize tablesaw.:D A few, maybe more years ago I purchased a large Ridgid table saw as it was supposed to be low in vibration and one of the better ones. Got it home, assembled it, and it ran nice. First time I tried to reach over the table to rip something I knew it wouldn't work. The table extensions were way to large and I couldn't reach the item I was ripping. Took it back the next day with no charge for assembling, then ordered a new shopsmith and haven't looked back. Very nice machines.

After that I purchased a used one for a low price which had a lot of attachments, bandsaw, jointer, sander. Best way to pick up accesories. So then I had two. I updated to the new quill, and updated the tools.

Last weekend I saw another one with many attachments, got the fever again and purchased it. Now I have three and duplicates of some of the attachments although I did get a couple of ones I didn't have. I plan on taking one with some of the attachments to our second home. Not much rust on this one but I already ordered the updated quill and will update the tools before taking them to our less frequented house.

These are wonderful machines, especially with the additional tools you can run on them. It may be a disease but one I can live with. My wife is a little concerned.:rolleyes:
kaba
Gold Member

Post by kaba »

CarlRay,
Having a large table saw is absolutely great when you need that capacity. I had a 50" cut capacity to the right of the blade. It had a Rockler extension and upgraded fence and miter installed. It also had a router insert on the extension that worked well. However, I have a small shop, (14X17') and the saw was always in the way when I was doing anything BUT sawing. With the SS I still have good capacity but can also push it into a corner when I'm doing something else.

My wife was familiar with my table saw. When she saw the rusty, dirty SS I was buying to replace it she questioned my sanity. :) I think she'll feel a little better when I have it cleaned up and can show her the versatility that is involved.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi kaba! I see by your photos, you have a very restorable Mark V. Hope you continue to be happy with that purchase. My shop is a little larger, but not much. 16' X 20" outside.

I'm sure happy with mine!:) When I designed my shop, I thought the saw would stay near the middle of the shop, but what I find is - it is always getting rotated 90 degrees for drilling and routing, and rolled toward on side to allow more room for jointing, sanding and bandsawing. Very versatile and handy tool!!!

Although you probably know all of this - - You can tell your wife that the SS also has a 50" cutting capacity to the right of the blade. Probably even a foot longer. To get this, slide the headstock all the way left and mount the extension table on the right side. Now you will need the 5 foot connecting tubes. You can put a floating table in between and even put the other floating table to the right of the extension table and saw. Of coarse, you can also reverse this and have a huge capacity to the left of the blade if you wish.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Hi kaba,
Judging from the pictures you got a good deal. I have been busy with rebuilding my headstock, it looks harder than it is. The instructions that came with the new belts where good, and a helpful phone call to Bill Mayo made the job much easier. You may want to try the rebuild yourself I am glad that I did, just to know the inside of the headstock. I should get the new control sheave tomorrow and than I will be done. Send me a PM if you have any questions.
Eric, Sebring Fl.