New to Forum

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

webzter
Silver Member

New to Forum

Post by webzter »

I just purchased a used 1992 Mark V model 500. The original owner only used the drill press and was stored in an unheated garage. I was told it was seized so I got it for a really good price. I found that the Quill Feed Sleeve has rusted and was seized in the head stock housing. I have tried a penetrating liquid but it still won't budge. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free up this sleeve with out damaging the housing?
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Imagewebzter,
Although I do knot usually recommend whacking the Mark V with a hammer, but if it truly is only rust preventing the quill from moving, one thing that you could try is this: Put something, like an empty saw blade arbor, on the shaft, to protect the end of the shaft, and give the end of the shaft a good whack. This might break loose the rust. This method has helped me with similar (non-ShopSmith) situations. Hopefully someone else has a better idea! Good luck.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Quill Feed Sleeve

Post by billmayo »

To make sure we are talking about the same thing, you cannot turn the quill feed assembly shaft. If the quill housing is stuck in the headstock, you will have the same symptom. The quill feed sleeve is held on the quill feed pinion by a woodruff key. This holds the sperical washer on the shaft and prevent the shaft from beening removed. You have to remove the woodruff key sometimes before you can remove the sperical washer. In either case, I remove the motor, speed control assembly and idler shaft assembly and turn the housing upside down so I can see the inside of the housing. There are 2 big ears holding the quill housing so limit any prying on the ears if possible. I try to use the quill housing or the quill feed shaft as a pivot point when trying to move the sperical washer and quill feed sleeve. I use heat (heat gun) only on the aluminum area and Kroil (good penetrating oil) on the rusty part in the stuck area and try to move the stuck part with a pry bar or big screwdriver. A hammer around the headstock can be dangerious for the aluminum headstock. It does break. Always protect the end of any shaft before tapping on it. I sometimes soak the area with Kroil and let set overnight before try to move anything.
webzter wrote:I just purchased a used 1992 Mark V model 500. The original owner only used the drill press and was stored in an unheated garage. I was told it was seized so I got it for a really good price. I found that the Quill Feed Sleeve has rusted and was seized in the head stock housing. I have tried a penetrating liquid but it still won't budge. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to free up this sleeve with out damaging the housing?
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
webzter
Silver Member

Post by webzter »

billmayo wrote:To make sure we are talking about the same thing, you cannot turn the quill feed assembly shaft. If the quill housing is stuck in the headstock, you will have the same symptom. The quill feed sleeve is held on the quill feed pinion by a woodruff key. This holds the sperical washer on the shaft and prevent the shaft from beening removed. You have to remove the woodruff key sometimes before you can remove the sperical washer. In either case, I remove the motor, speed control assembly and idler shaft assembly and turn the housing upside down so I can see the inside of the housing. There are 2 big ears holding the quill housing so limit any prying on the ears if possible. I try to use the quill housing or the quill feed shaft as a pivot point when trying to move the sperical washer and quill feed sleeve. I use heat (heat gun) only on the aluminum area and Kroil (good penetrating oil) on the rusty part in the stuck area and try to move the stuck part with a pry bar or big screwdriver. A hammer around the headstock can be dangerious for the aluminum headstock. It does break. Always protect the end of any shaft before tapping on it. I sometimes soak the area with Kroil and let set overnight before try to move anything.
Thanks for your help. I managed to break the sleeve into small pieces and remove all of the parts. No damage to the housing thankfully.Now all I have to do is order a new sleeve and I should be able to start using my new toy. MJ