headstock/way tubes

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

drnewton
Silver Member

headstock/way tubes

Post by drnewton »

I took the headstock off the way tubes in the process of upgrading from 500 to the 520.

When I went to put the headstock back on, it would no longer go all the way into the way tubes. It appears that there is a collar of somesort on the back-end (auxillary shaft end) and that the way tubes are bumping into that.

I first thought it was the carriage lock wedges that were deflecting the tubes downwards, and in the process of fiddling with that i think i made it worse. The left end wedge is now partly inside the machine and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it back outside.

I tried using pliers to hold down the wedge while turning the carriage lock bolt, but that didn't work--the pliers can't get a good grip.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix either of these problems?

Thanks
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

headstock/waytubes

Post by judaspre1982 »

=============================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Wed May 10, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drnewton
Silver Member

Post by drnewton »

well before the above reply was posted, I decided to give it another shot. I dropped the motor pan (without realizing it was the motor pan) and used pliers. Now the wedges are completely marred. Anyway in the process of completely ruining my machine I discovered the problem was that the threads on the end of the bolt the wedges ride on got stripped out. That was a "my bad."

I gueess I will just order a replacement assembly...

Now, when that comes in...How best to reattach the motor pan!? I took out all the screws--even the ones holding the motor brackets to the pan. (Yes, I realize, I should never be allowed to hold another screwdriver or pliers.)

:mad:
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Newt! After ordering your part, You can wait until at least August 9th and tune in on The Sawdust Session about re-assembling the headstock. If you can't find the Sawdust sessions - follow this url - http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/Sawdust_Sessions.htm

judaspre1982 gave you good advice! Like him, I'm not sure if you are talking about the carriage or the headstock.

Take a look at Sawdust Session #22. Putting your troubled headstock back together is just the opposite of this session. (Provided you didn't take anything else apart yet):rolleyes: http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... rn_Pt2.htm

Here is another option - step by step:
I too have dropped the motor pan while on the way tubes. Here's what I'd do to get it back on, now that the motor is loose.

1) disconnect the plug from electricity
2) disconnect the wires from the switch in the headstock - flag the wires as to which terminal they came from
3) after making sure all internal wiring is free raise the way tubes as described by judaspre
4) remove the pan and motor and put on a bench
5) re-attach the motor
6) remove the headstock from the way tubes
7) on the bench, re-connect the switch wires from the same terminals they were on before
8) re-attach the motor pan
9) put the headstock back on the way tubes as described by judaspre

OR - wait for the Sawdust Session
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
dusty
Platinum Member

headstock/way tubes

Post by dusty »

This may be a little late but it might be helpful. It will at least show you that you are not the only one who has this problem.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=1586&highlight=wedge+locks
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Dropping Motor Pan While Headstock On Way Tubes

Post by judaspre1982 »

==========================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Wed May 10, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drnewton
Silver Member

Post by drnewton »

I don't think I made my incompetence clear enough....

1) I pulled the headstock off the way tubes. (and mounted the 520 carriage and table without incident.)
2) I attempted to put headstock back on. It would not go on all the way, so I moved the headstock back to the floor. This is when I screwed up the wedges *in the headstock* and bolt that holds them.
3) I put the headstock on the floor and dropped the motor pan without removing anything else. Note: I removed the 5 screws holding the pan to the rest of the headstock, as well as the 4 screws holding the motor into the pan. I did that because I am an idiot. Please understand that I did not remove anything else on the headstock, just the motor pan! The motor is still wired up and is resting on the floor currently.

So the question remains--after I replace the headstock wedge assembly, how best do I go about re-seating the motor and reattaching the belt?

(almost ready to just buy a used shopsmith and use that headstock instead.)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Dropping Motor Pan While Headstock On Way Tubes

Post by billmayo »

I would remove the switch so you can install the wedges and rod without the motor in the way. I always turn the wedges with my fingers on the headstock lock rod inside the headstock until the wedges are close to each end of the rod. I align the wedges so the flats align with headstock way tube holes. I actually loosen the headstock lock until the wedges cannot be separated any more, will not rotate and the flats stay aligned with the way tube holes so the way tubes can be inserted into the headstock. I use my fingers to keep the wedges aligned.

Then I would mount the motor to the motor pan with the 4 bolts. Then reconnect the switch to housing routing the wires over the headstock lock rod. Then mount the motor pan to the headstock with 5 screws. Pulling the floating sheave out, install the motor drive belt.

I added an insulated male and female terminal connectors for the switch wires at the motor so I can quickly disconnect them when removing the motor on one of my Shopsmiths.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
drnewton
Silver Member

Post by drnewton »

Then mount the motor pan to the headstock with 5 screws. Pulling the floating sheave out, install the motor drive belt.

Can you elaborate on this? I've got the motor mounted back to the pan, reattached the pan to the headstock and took the belt cover off. The belt is off (above :mad: ) the shaft of the motor--do I need to detach the pan from the headstock to get it back over? How do I remove the floating sheave? I watched the sawdust episode where he did it, but I don't have a jig told down that spring.

Update: nevermind, found this thread
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=355

by googling "shopsmith belt replacement -sand"
drnewton
Silver Member

Post by drnewton »

Yay. I got the belt back on and mounted it to the way tubes. Started right up and changed speed good. Of course it didn't lock to the way tubes because the wedges were so marred--but I expected that. I'm just happy I was able to put it back together!!

So when my replacement parts arrive, should I take off the belt again, drop the motor pan and replace, or is there an easier way?