Older Miter Gauge Ext

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Older Miter Gauge Ext

Post by judaspre1982 »

=====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

I do knot know, because I have never even seen a clone that I know of, but is it possible that a clone, like a Total Shop(?), or something else, could have entered the picture? Maybe you do knot have an entirely "ShopSmith" ShopSmith!?:confused:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

judaspre1982,

I too have 2 1955 Mark V’s (291340 & 309753). I’m a little confused about what piece of equipment you are referring to when you say the miter extension will “not lock in level with the main table”. Neither the miter gauge nor it’s extension locks onto the main table. It sounds like you are talking about the rip fence. Perhaps the rip fence you bought on e-bay is for the newer tables. Can you post or attach pictures of the tables and the ‘miter extension’? It would help tremendously in diagnosing your problem.

Ron309753
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

older miter gauge extension

Post by judaspre1982 »

======================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

In that case, I certainly have no further input; sorry.:(
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

judaspre1982,

I too have 2 1955 Mark V’s (291340 & 309753). I also have the little front miter slot extension table, but I have no problem moving it from one machine to the other. When I move it from one machine to the other I have to retighten the knob on the bottom of the little extension table. When I retighten the knob it pulls up tight and level to the main table.
Is your extension the same as mine (see picture)? If it’s the same, but will only work on one table, then perhaps one of the tables is a newer table or is from a different machine. Can you post or attach pictures of the tables? It would help tremendously in diagnosing your problem.

Ron309753
Attachments
100_0966.JPG
100_0966.JPG (319.14 KiB) Viewed 30639 times
100_0967.JPG
100_0967.JPG (249.76 KiB) Viewed 30641 times
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

older miter gauge ext

Post by judaspre1982 »

===============================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Sat May 20, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

Dave,

When I move the little extension table from one machine to the other I have to retighten the knob on the bottom of the little extension table. When I retighten the knob it pulls up tight and level to the main table. 1/16" of an inch shouldn't keep it from drawing up. Are you retightening the knob each time?

Ron
billmayo
Platinum Member

Older Miter Gauge Ext

Post by billmayo »

Yes, Shopsmith made 2 different Miter Gauge Bar Extension tables that hooks on the front of the 500 main table and several different fence rails on the 500 main tables. I misread the problem originally thinking the miter gauge extension was the topic. I was able to modify the arm to permit either extension table to lock onto either fence rail by adding a additional step to the arm. Quite simple to do once I understood how the extension locks on the fence bar and how the extension table is adjusted. I do have a file/copy of the Miter Gauge Bar extension table manual showing how to adjust it if anyone is interested.
judaspre1982 wrote:The miter gauge is the same as I have. When I measure the differences in both tables and exts I get about 1/16 of an inch difference. As I said it is if the ext from ebay and the older main table I already owened have the same specs--dito for the original table and ext I first purchased used in 1993 . I am a PC virgin when it comes to sending out pics but I will try to get them posted ASAP. I would really like to find out the story on this. Dave
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
ldh
Gold Member

Post by ldh »

judaspre1982 wrote:I originally posted this ? in the community section of the site but Im not really sure just where to post my ? so I will repost it here. I have a situation that I hope someone else out there has experienced. I have two completly original MK V systems both from 1955---S/N-283323 & 303185. The first system came with a miter gauge ext the second did not ( I just recently got the older MK V ). I bought a second miter gauge ext on ebay and when I tried to use it on the table from the later mod MK V the ext would not lock in level with the main table, so I tried it on the other main table. A perfect match. After closer inspection I found that the castings were different at the front of the table where the gauge ext locks to the table. One is slighly wider than the other and it appears the miter gauge exts were manufactured different also to accommodate the casting change. If I didnt have the second table to try the ext on I would have thought the gauge ext to be defective. Why would such a change be made in a casting in the same mod year? Gail at SS said there was only one change ever made to the 500 series table and that invovled the front part of the table where the ext locks onto, but invoved the part being a bolt on rather than a fully casted table.This is not my case, both tables are full castings. I have a third miter gauge ext coming from ebay--- attempting to get a little more infeed table support---- and dont know how it will work out. Hopefully it fits one of my tables and is not from some other unknown casting or table change for the 500 MK V. Has anyone ever had this trouble? I am hesitant to buy other accessories from any source now that I have discoverd this about the gauge ext. Dave
Dave,
Notice the large nut on the side of the extension.....it is an excentric used to adjust the extension level with your table......make sure it is lubed and adjust for level prior to tightening the extension to your table.....I have found I have to adjust a bit differently for the old cast 500 table and the newer 500 tables.....but it will work well on both.
ldh