Gallery of Restorations

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Gallery of Restorations

Post by JPG »

Gorgeous without a doubt. Well done!!!

The way tube extension seems a mite long at the tailstock and a mite short at the tie bar. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG, I'm a firm believer that the way tubes should NOT be any longer than
1/2 the thickness of the tailstock adapter. Any more, you're losing MUCHLY
needed lathe bed length. Or, "yes" a bit long at the tailstock end, and just right
at the tie bar. (Outside of an extension table, what are you mounting at the
head end, except for a tool holder?")

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

skou wrote:JPG, I'm a firm believer that the way tubes should NOT be any longer than
1/2 the thickness of the tailstock adapter. Any more, you're losing MUCHLY
needed lathe bed length. Or, "yes" a bit long at the tailstock end, and just right
at the tie bar. (Outside of an extension table, what are you mounting at the
head end, except for a tool holder?")

steve
A good rule of thumb(1/2 adapter), but they should at least be equal. ;)

My 'plans' include an SPT mount similar to Shipwright's.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:Gorgeous without a doubt. Well done!!!

The way tube extension seems a mite long at the tailstock and a mite short at the tie bar. ;)
I will have to check the leg instructions. I am not sure how long I cut the bench top. Either to the instructions or to the original bench length. My guess is that I used the instruction length particularly if the original bench was different. I did make it an inch longer and wider to provide a 1/2" overhang like Skip Campbell did.

Anyhow, with the bench length to specs and the legs attached there is only one place the machine ends can go. There is a hole in the leg for the single center bolt of the pivot end and there are two holes in the leg for the headrest bolts. They can't go any place else unless you drill new holes in the metal legs. Those holes establish the length of the machine as Magna intended it.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
JPG wrote:Gorgeous without a doubt. Well done!!!

I will have to check the leg instructions. I am not sure how long I cut the bench top. Either to the instructions or to the original bench length. My guess is that I used the instruction length particularly if the original bench was different. I did make it an inch longer and wider to provide a 1/2" overhang like Skip Campbell did.

Anyhow, with the bench length to specs and the legs attached there is only one place the machine ends can go. There is a hole in the leg for the single center bolt of the pivot end and there are two holes in the leg for the headrest bolts. They can't go any place else unless you drill new holes in the metal legs. Those holes establish the length of the machine as Magna intended it.

All true! But the way tubes can be positioned anywhere between the ends. Two setscrews each determine 'final resting place'. Actually only the tailstock end is 'variable with fixed leg location. The tie bar is lastly positioned along the way tube to the rest.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JPG wrote:All true! But the way tubes can be positioned anywhere between the ends. Two setscrews each determine 'final resting place'. Actually only the tailstock end is 'variable with fixed leg location. The tie bar is lastly positioned along the way tube to the rest.
My experience is that while the amount the way tubes protrude on the tailstock end is adjustable there is only one length of protrusion that is optimal.
When it is in drill press mode and at 90 degrees to the base the ends of the tubes should be resting on the pads on the pivot base.
If the tubes are too far out it will lean back, not far enough and it will lean forward.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rpd wrote:
JPG wrote:All true! But the way tubes can be positioned anywhere between the ends. Two setscrews each determine 'final resting place'. Actually only the tailstock end is 'variable with fixed leg location. The tie bar is lastly positioned along the way tube to the rest.
My experience is that while the amount the way tubes protrude on the tailstock end is adjustable there is only one length of protrusion that is optimal.
When it is in drill press mode and at 90 degrees to the base the ends of the tubes should be resting on the pads on the pivot base.
If the tubes are too far out it will lean back, not far enough and it will lean forward.

Oh yeah! Quite true.

Overlooked that! :o :o :o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
rpd wrote:

Oh yeah! Quite true.

Overlooked that! :o :o :o
Besides what do yoy gain? Maybe a inch of extra length in lathe mode.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I was initially thinking(?) that making the support equal on both ends would be a good thing. Tilt stop takes precedence.

My 'thinking' includes mounting SPTs on the left.

Lily gilding.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:I was initially thinking(?) that making the support equal on both ends would be a good thing. Tilt stop takes precedence.

My 'thinking' includes mounting SPTs on the left.

Lily gilding.
I will check all the OEM dimensions to see if my bench is correct. As for SPTs on the left end, I have an original set of Magna adapters. I think the idea is to remove the tie bar and install the adapter. Then the tubes are long enough. I will check the adapter manual. If you look at the picture of the "A" adapter has a hole in it for the tie bar knob. That makes sense if you remove the tie bar to install the adapter. The "B" adapter does not have the hole but it has set screws to hold it on the way tubes. I will check.

FWIW, when I assembled the machine the first thing I did was install the way tubes in the hinge base so they were vertical in reference to the bench (Wixey). Then I positioned the hinge base so the center base bolt hole lined up with the hole in the metal leg. Then I installed the head rest in the position of the holes in the metal leg. So if the bench is the correct length per Magna then the way the machine looks is correct.

The MK V SPT adapters came much later so all bets are off.
Attachments
DSCF0886 (640x480).jpg
DSCF0886 (640x480).jpg (239.01 KiB) Viewed 13015 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT