ao smith motor repair

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

disc42
Gold Member

Re: ao smith motor repair

Post by disc42 »

When I disconnected the wires the blue wire to the on/off switch was connected to two big wires and one small wire from the winding.There was also a short wire that was connected to the capacitor from that lead.The yellow wire to the on/off switch was connected to two large wires from the winding.There was one short wire connected to one small wire from winding to on side of start switch.One short wire from capacitor to the other side of start switch.I assume the large wires from winding are run wires and the small wires are start .I hope this description is accurate.This is the way I observed it when I removed the old wires.I,m in uncharted waters here so bear with me.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

disc42 wrote:When I disconnected the wires the blue wire to the on/off switch was connected to two big wires and one small wire from the winding.Good Observation!! There was also a short wire that was connected to the capacitor from that lead. Good again!The yellow wire to the on/off switch was connected to two large wires from the winding.The other end of the run windings.There was one short wire connected to one small wire from winding to on side of start switch.The other end of the start windingOne short wire from capacitor to the other side of start switch.I assume the large wires from winding are run wires and the small wires are start . YES!!!I hope this description is accurate.This is the way I observed it when I removed the old wires.I,m in uncharted waters here so bear with me.
However IIUC it does not add up.

As you described, the blu and yel switch leads correctly connect to the opposite ends of the run windings(x2).

The start winding has to be in a triple series connection with the capacitor and the start switch. Ends ends of that circjuit must be connected across the run windings(power in).

As you described, did the capacitor wire actually connect to the other end of the run windings/yellow switch wire?

The start circuit needs to connect to the 'yellow'/two larger winding wires connection.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

I,m not sure which of the two wires from the on/off switch are common,blue or yellow.As I stated the blue wire was bundled with 2 run wires and 1 start wire with 1 short wire going to the capacitor.The yellow wire was bundled with 2 run wires.The other start wire was alone and con. to start switch unless it was pulled away from the blue bundle.I am almost sure that start wire was soldered to the wire that goes to the start switch.I,ll try to send a pic. if I can figure out how.
Last edited by disc42 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Footnote:short wire from capacitor to other side of start switch.The wire to the capacitor was connected to the blue wire not yellow.
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Here is the pic.As you can see the 3 wire bundle is in upper left which is blue wire. The single start wire is below connects to start switch.The 2 run wires to right connect to yellow wire.Capacitor then connects to blue wire. One single wire connects to capacitor and the other side of start switch.
Attachments
ao smith motor (1024x768).jpg
ao smith motor (1024x768).jpg (493.58 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

You have correctly identified the motor winding wires.

However the start winding/start switch/start capacitor circuit will not work as you described.

The only thing that 'is wrong' is the attachment of the capacitor wire to the 'blue' junction rather than the 'yellow' junction.

As you described, the upper left junction(blue) had the three motor winding wires, the blue wire AND the capacitor wire.

I think what you originally had was the capacitor wire connected to the upper right junction(yellow) had two motor wires, the yellow wire and the capacitor wire.

What you described simply will not work.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Thanks jpg for the info. Your wisdom on this forum is a very important tool for beginners.I value your opinion on the wiring issue but I have the blue wire with the capacitor wire still attached.Having said that I have decided to compromise and attach a cap. wire to both blue and yellow wires.At least if the blue wire does,t work I can unplug it and plug in the yellow wire without going back into the motor.I,ll let you know the outcome when the big moment arrives.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Let's back up a minute.

You have shown you know which motor wires are the run and start windings.

One wire from the switch(blue) goes to the two run winding wires and the single start winding wire(upper left in your picture). Ignore the start circuit stuff for a minute.

The other wire from the switch(yellow) goes to the other end of the two run windings.

Now for the start circuit. This circuit consists of three things connected in series. the start winding, the start capacitor and the start switch. It does not matter in what order they are connected as long as it is a series 'chain'.

Now the start circuit needs to be connected across the power switch leads(that be where the power source is)(blue/yellow wires).

Since one end of the start winding is connected with the two run winding leads and the blue wire to the switch, that end of the start circuit is fixed.

The start switch has two connections and the capacitor has two connections and there is one remaining start winding connection(wire).

The start winding wire can connect to one terminal of the start switch. The other start switch terminal then connects to one terminal of the start capacitor. The other capacitor terminal must then connect to the other power switch terminal(yellow wire).

The start switch and capacitor can be swapped in that description.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Then evidently this motor had been rewired incorrectly previously.I see your point so I,ll connect the yellow start wire to the cap.Guess that,s why it wasn,t running properly when I tried to start it.
disc42
Gold Member

Post by disc42 »

Thanks jpg just got my start switch weights in today.Broke the ear off the old one trying to reinstall the old one.There is a trick to this procedure I learned to late.Soldered on the start points and fired it up.Runs like a champ.If you hadn't clued me about the wiring issue I would have rewired it as I found it and had the same issues I had originally.Probably would have given up on it and ordered a rebuilt motor.Thanks again Jim Collins