ShopSmith Planer

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

psf513
Gold Member

ShopSmith Planer

Post by psf513 »

Does anyone have any experience with this tool? I am looking at purchasing one but not sure if this is the way I should go.
Pete

1990 500 w/ band saw, jointer, scroll saw, dust collector, androuter table
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

Pete,
I bought mine in the early 80's, back then I was making a lot of wood toys (HANDS ON PLANS) for family and friends. Which at times required thiner stock. The planer always did a great job for me. I found that I had to leave the boards a little longer because of scalloping on the ends, but that for me was not a big problem. I am very pleased with mine (serial#00106) and I am sure the newer one are even better.
Eric, Sebring Fl.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

Hi Pete,

I bought one about five years ago and have used it heavily since that time. It does a great job of thicknessing boards and leaves a surface that needs little if any sanding depending on what the project is and what finish will be applied.

I've sharpened the knives at least twice and find that process saves me considerably over buying throw-away knives that some of the other brands use.

Having said that, you need to consider how much you will use the planer before buying one (especially if you intend to buy a new one). If you buy all (or most of) your wood rough cut you will appreciate the savings. If you will only use it occasionally you may want to consider buying used or (some heresy here) buy a benchtop model.

Just some food for thought.

Added 8 Aug: I built the stand for the Shopsmith mount planer so it is exactly the same height as the way tubes. That way I don't have to lift the planer at all - just slide it from the stand to the way tubes and fasten it in place.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

See my post to your question in the other forum.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2134
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi Pete! Glad to see you asking questions, especially if you're not sure what to do.

I wish to call your attention to Leonard's last paragraph. It contains very good recommendations and a lot of wisdom.

I've never read of a dissatisfied owner of a Pro Planer. It is undoubtedly a very good machine. Because of it's weight, I would have gone for the mounted model. Don't think I could stand the strain of hefting one of these back and forth from Mark V - to stand - and back. If it will fit in your pocket book - no question - get one.

In my case, I always wanted a Shopsmith Pro-planer. In fact, still do. More fact - I can't justify the cost!
I settled for a Dewalt 735, and probably would have settled for their smaller model if the 735 didn't go on sale for $100 off while I was shopping.

Incidentally, with the conical sanding disk and the jointer/planer knife jig, I can very successfully sharpen the otherwise "throw away" blades that fit the DeWalt planer.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

I bought a very used one about a year and a half ago. Even being very used a little TLC brought it right back into tip top shape. Being able to sharpen the blades was a big plus in keeping the cost of bringing it back down. Yes, it is heavy but the instruction manual also has a great plan for a roll around cart that makes it convenient to mount. You only have to lift about 6 in. up and and swing the planner about two feet. depending on the condition of your back and your age should be the determining factor. If cost is a factor at the moment you can also buy the planner now and upgrade it to the stand later. More expensive in the long run but it spreads the cost out.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw