Speed Control -- Question

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

When the speed control becomes difficult to change -- is it the mismatch in gears of the quadrant that is the root cause or are there other probable factors?

Is it equally difficult to change speeds in both directions?
MarkFive510
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Have you put 4-6 drops of non-detergent #10 (instrument, sewing machine or air compressor) oil in the hole on the control sheave lately? Using a heavier weight or a detergent oil for lubrication or not oiling for long periods of time can cause the control sheave to be hard to move putting more stress on the quadrant gear teeth thus making the speed control handle harder to turn.

When turning from FAST to SLOW, you need to go slow to allow the sheaves to adjust for the motor belt. Forcing or turning quickly can cause the quadrant gear teeth to become misaligned with the worm gear. Going from SLOW to FAST should be easy and quick to do. Also forcing the speed control handle from FAST toward SLOW without the motor operating will do major damage to the quadrant.

See my reply #32 on Woodworking Tool Review, Shopsmith Inc. quality of sources thread for additional comments.

This one gets you to 25 maintenance procedures:
http://www.allinonewood.com/?page=shop/serviceadvisor

This one gets you to instructions and manuals:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/productmanuals.htm

I recommend copying all of these procedures, instructions and manuals to a CD for current and later use.

markfive510 wrote:When the speed control becomes difficult to change -- is it the mismatch in gears of the quadrant that is the root cause or are there other probable factors?

Is it equally difficult to change speeds in both directions?
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
wood4me
Gold Member

Post by wood4me »

i hope this works for mine :o ...it keeps tripping the breaker...and difficult if any to turn from e - h seems to be stuck at this r.p.m. :mad: ......to my knowledge it has never been turned off unless it was at "a" :)
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Wood4me

Remember to clean and lube the quadrant gear teeth, but FIRST unplug the SS.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"...it keeps tripping the breaker..."

This is an indication that you've got problems that lubrication probably won't fix. Strongly suggest you unplug the Mark V and thoroughly inspect the drive train. Do either of the shafts that protrude from the back of the headstock feel warm after they have been running for a few minutes? Assess the condition of the belts first, then remove the belts and see that all bearings rotate smoothly by hand, including the small bearing at the back of the control sheave.

With all good wishes,
wood4me
Gold Member

Post by wood4me »

Thanks for the replys :) .....
beeg.....sorry that didnt work...appears using last 1/4 of the quadrant
gear teeth - could this have slipped and needs adjusting :confused:

Nick....belts are ok.....unit does run smoothly when turned it by hand....
the unit will run approximatly 20-30 seconds before tripping the
breaker...
wood4me
Gold Member

Post by wood4me »

when i look at the gear assembly from the access hole with the speed control at 12:00 and the access hole at 6:00 the quardant gear is using the gear between 7:00 and 8:00...hurray - its not the motor as many of you already knew - took of the drive belt ran smooth .....
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

wood4me wrote:when i look at the gear assembly from the access hole with the speed control at 12:00 and the access hole at 6:00 the quardant gear is using the gear between 7:00 and 8:00...hurray - its not the motor as many of you already knew - took of the drive belt ran smooth .....

HAHAHA I just NOW figured out what is going on with the clock positions you mentioned. Post the letter your on, the speed dial has several 12:00 speed positions. When mine it set to "T" the gear is almost to the closest end of the gear, when looking through the rear access hole. When it's set to "SLOW", it's all the way to the other end.

This might help you to.

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... hanger.htm
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

"...the unit will run approximatly 20-30 seconds before tripping the
breaker..."

Strongly suspect motor problems. Sounds like the starting windings aren't kicking out and the motor is continuing to draw its start-up amps. Suggest you have it looked at by someone who knows his way around the inside of an electrical motor.

With all good wishes,
billmayo
Platinum Member

Speed Control

Post by billmayo »

I have just repair 3 different headstocks in a row with a similar problem. The front motor bearing (behind the sheave) had seized (spun inside the end housing) or was about to seize (unable to turn bearing by hand). Only the seized bearing was making a loud squealing noise. Each of the headstocks did trip the breaker quickly. These were the first motor bearing problems that I have found since I begin working with Shopsmiths many years ago. When I disconnected the motor belt, it was difficult to turn the motor sheaves.

However, this problem does sound like the start windings never disconnected. I have not seen the start winding contact points stick together on a Shopsmith. I do find some burned points that will not conduct electric to the start windings. You will get a hum from the motor when this occurs.
wood4me wrote:Thanks for the replys :) .....
Nick....belts are ok.....unit does run smoothly when turned it by hand....
the unit will run approximatly 20-30 seconds before tripping the
breaker...
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)